Cleaning out a fish tank

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Moonflower0922

Reaction score
Would it be okay to clean out my fish tank every two weeks? I have one baby betta fish in a 5.5 gallon tank, with a filter.

I have one betta and a nerite snail in a 26 litre tank (just about 7 galls) and I clean it every week. I change 50% of the water and would not like to leave it more often than once a week.

Water changes should be done weekly; leaving it longer risks causing fluctuating water parameters, which is not healthy for fish.

A water change on 5 or 6 gallon tank takes very little time or trouble.

Water changes should be done weekly; leaving it longer risks causing fluctuating water parameters, which is not healthy for fish.

A water change on 5 or 6 gallon tank takes very little time or trouble.
I wasn't asking because I'm lazy to do it, I have the time to do it, I just wondered if cleaning it weekly is over cleaning, since my fish is still tiny and the tank doesn't get that dirty.

I wasn't asking because I'm lazy to do it, I have the time to do it, I just wondered if cleaning it weekly is over cleaning, since my fish is still tiny and the tank doesn't get that dirty.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that you were too lazy! Not at all! Sorry if that's how it came across, totally unintended!

I understand that it can seem unnecessary when your fish is small and the tank doesn't look dirty, but that just means you only need to do smallish water changes; 20 or 25% will be plenty :)

Hello!

Not sure what you mean by cleaning out? If you have a mature well set up tank, there is not much cleaning to do, to be exact - zero! Too much or the wrong cleaning can destroy the biology of your tank. But what is very important for the well being of your fish is a weekly water change of about 30-50%.

Most reactions

Back