Cleaning Gravel Surface?

I use a python no spill clean and fill ..... Aint got no buckets :D

I was emptying my tank yesterday, and cleaning out before i get some stuff in there, and just playing around mostly (gravel vac practice) I noticed that to get to the bottom of the gravel, it basically ends up filling my tube entirely, and sucking gravel down the hose when i lift it up to let the gravel out.

It is a bit tricky i guess, Because mine has a little shutoff valve that I use to regulate the flow, or squeeze the hose together in a hurry if need be.

the damn thing makes a mess of my kitchen though.... water everywhere, and wastes like 400 gallons of water .....
I already waste enough with my RO.

If you do it right you can turn off your sink and the siphon will continue. I'm not sure how you do it but it can be done. Other than that you can just run the hose outside suck on the end and start the siphon that way. No need to waste water.

my tank water level when its low, sits below the sink and the level at which the connector, connects to the tap.
turning off the water means i got no suction :\

Buy a long piece of 5mm air tube and use that.

Also, the lower you have your bucket the greater the vacuum is. So if you keep the bottom of your bucket just below the level of the bottom of your tank you will have a very mild vacuum, no need to put your thumb over the other end of the pipe.

I think narrow tube like that allows for a high ratio of suction to water loss. If that makes sense. But I think 5mm is a bit of underkill you'll get alot of crud clogged in it quickly IMHO. I'd just use the tube from a medium sized gravel vac.

Most reactions

Back