Cleaning External Filters...

tameem

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Today I noticed on one of my filters especially ther eis this brown slime. The filters have been there for more then 3 months, and at least one month with fish. I think it may be time to rinse out the filter.

I did a search on here for filter cleaning, and I found some helpful advice about making sure to use tank water during a water change to clean the filter. And also, do it in rotatation instead of cleaning all your filters, especially during a cycle.
But, I didnt find anything about how to actually clean a filter from a ext power filter. I have one of those external marineland power filters. The filter is square, it has blue floss, and a acticated carbon at the rear of it. You cant really wring it out, or squeaze it.

Also, I wonder why one of the filter media has noticeably more slime build up then the other one?

I have extra compartment for another filter in each of the power filters that I havent used. Should I add additional filter media, as well, if the powerfilter can accomodate?

If I want to clean the intake tubes, is it advisable to turn off the filter during this maintenence, or any maintainance for that matter?

I want to clean the impeller, or at least check it. Is it ok to turn the filter off, and clean the impeller in tank water? Im afraid of the well where the impeller is building a lot of slime, which may cause a braekdown.

Thanks.

Where's the brown slime? In the tubes, the housing itself, or in the filter media?

Not sure about marineland filters, but my old HOB filter had a carbon cartridge, and then a black fiber mat. The fiber builds up a brown slime where the bacteria live, and you don't want to take that off. I just swish mine in the bucket every couple months when I do a water change to get any particles off. If you clean the brown sludge off (Like I did the first time I noticed it!) you'll probably regret it.

As for the filter housing or tubes, I have a dedicated rag for that. Pull it through the tubes with a wire and wipe the buildup off of filter surfaces. You can turn the filter off while you do this and clean the impeller, just as long as you keep the biological media wet through most of it.

The slime I noticed is on the filter media. I noticed it when I pulled it out. I dont know what the state of the intake tubes or the impeller, but I think I should clean it the next time I do a water change (which will be tomorrow).

The slime just looks real bad and disgusting.

It does look pretty bad, but it's healthy for your fish. The filter documentation might mention it, if you still have it around - mine warns that discoloration and buildup in the fiber are normal and healthy, and shouldn't be removed.

Okay. Well tonight I did a water change and in the old tank water, I simply dunked the filter media to remove any debris, but I didnt squeeze it. I also have extra compartment for another filter media, so I added two additional filter cartidges in my two power filters.

Thanks for your reply.

Most reactions

Back