Cleaning Eheim 2213

fiskkeeperpro

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Sorry for the nooby question. This filter has been running for about 2 months now and I just want to check if its still clean and not clogged up for anything.

How do I do this?

Thanks

Write this out 100 times:

YOU DO NOT CLEAN A FILTER AS A MATTER OF COURSE

:lol:

You only need to maintain a filter to remove blockage.... otherwise you risk killing the bacteria we spent so long encouraging... when you first setup the filter, did you notice the amount of water flow that was returning to the tank ? as a general rule of thumb, when this has dropped to about half the flowrate (or in my case when I notice the lack of flow ! :blush: ) THEN and ONLY then is time to strip it.

The only bit thats going to be clogged normally is the sponge pads... unless a fish is trapped in a pipe (been known !) then all you need to do is syphon a bucket of tank water (ONLY tank water) and give the media a good swilling to remove the bulk of the muck, then do the same with the sponge pads... unless the fine one is really clogged, then replace it.

Lol, dont worry, I use tank water to clean the dirst with my filters.

I didn't make myself clear in my first post.

Do you turn off the filter? or turn off the pipes?

I dont want to open it and all the water comes out over me from the canister.

Sorry, but i dunno if im making myself clear or not lol

The procedure I use is to shut the inlet tap, then the outlet... and unplug the filter, there's always a little spillage so you may like to place the filter into an empty bucket - catch any drips.

Once the maintenance is complete, reassemble the filter - connect the pipes (if removed) and then open the inlet.. once the filter is filled open the outlet and prime then apply the power again, make sure the water is pumping or unplug again and re prime - NEVER let it run "dry"

Most reactions

Back