Cleaning An Airstone...how?

notg2009

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, I have an 18" TopFin Bubble Wall (http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752294) and after some time it gets half clogged and I don't get that much bubbles. I took it out one time, and cleaned it with high water pressure from a garden hose, but I don't want to do that again as it messes up the tank. Any ideas? I tried blowing hard into the tube, but no air came out; bad lungs I guess!!!

Thanks for the help.

Don't bother running an airstone unless its a tall narrow tank. A standard HOB filter provides enough agitation for the oxygen exchange.

Have you tried taking the stone out and soaking it in a 50/50 solution of distilled vinegar and water? This would remove any hard water/limescale deposits.

Have you tried taking the stone out and soaking it in a 50/50 solution of distilled vinegar and water? This would remove any hard water/limescale deposits.

That's a good idea, but I really don't want to make a mess taking it out as it is under gravel (about 1/2 inch under gravel).

I've used the cheap airstones and I've used the super expensive ones. Two things they both have in common. First, they will both clog. Second, neither is worth cleaning. I now place them where it's easy to change them out.

Most reactions

Back