Cleaning advice

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Going to ask @AbbeysDad for advice here, if he doesn't mind! @Lee171181 any chance you could add some more photos please, showing the stuff that's over the glass/decor please? A photo of the whole tank could help us see what it is.

Going to ask @AbbeysDad for advice here, if he doesn't mind!
I'm not sure that I can offer much here ... be it diatoms, algae, tannins, or detritus, cleaning the sand is typically not an option since it's likely stuck to the sand and decor. I'm not a fan of stirring the substrate as it upsets the beneficial biology developing there and as mentioned, it just temporarily buries the 'problem'.
Since the tank is relatively new, I think I'd ride it out and see what happens as the tank matures more. But make no mistake, a snow white sand is always going to show every bit of ugly that you might imagine and you will chase your tail if you try to keep it pristine.
I personally prefer a more natural looking pool filter or play sand that I never disturb.

Going to ask @AbbeysDad for advice here, if he doesn't mind! @Lee171181 any chance you could add some more photos please, showing the stuff that's over the glass/decor please? A photo of the whole tank could help us see what it is.
Here’s some photos of the tank, and the brown appearing on the back and plants, - wondering if it’s the light causing it as have recently upgraded to the HeliaLux Spectrum led light and it’s on a standard profile so is on most of the day from 8am to 11pm & dims down at lunch time?

Attachments

• 3176576E-79A6-4249-8795-669E11C88432.jpeg
    3176576E-79A6-4249-8795-669E11C88432.jpeg
    312.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 0F96B81D-43F7-48BB-A071-7D858D7081B1.jpeg
    0F96B81D-43F7-48BB-A071-7D858D7081B1.jpeg
    191.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 07A44C16-CE7B-482A-8053-948F993B9E20.jpeg
    07A44C16-CE7B-482A-8053-948F993B9E20.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 37
HeliaLux Spectrum led light and it’s on a standard profile so is on most of the day from 8am to 11pm & dims down at lunch time?
11 hours is a bit too long for lights to be on a aquarium with plants and livestock.

You will, sooner or later likely to get algae issues and possible health issues with livestock as too much or too bright light can stress livestock out.

7-8 hours of daily light time is the standard for most UK based keepers.

tbh I would not call that problem algae
With that few live plants thats the best you can accept unless you scrub every surface every morning, and that much light will just make it worse

Plants are plastic & not live,does it seem normal then? Am thinking of changing the substrate to black sand so it doesn’t show as much.

I mean it looks fine to me tbh, and the brown algae will eventually go no doubt. If you exterminate algae in a plantless tank it will be worse for the fish.

Algae comes hand in hand with fish keeping unfortunately. Your lights are on for way longer than they need to be which is probably the main reason you're getting algae but it's by no means excessive....algae is good for the fish anyway, gives them snacks between meals!

Most reactions

Back