Cleaning advice

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lee171181

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have any ideas how I can clean this sand? It was white as at the bottom but the top is all turning brown? Vacuuming will just suck it all up but I just want to clean it if possible? Thanks
1623AEF5-5D75-4368-9BB7-EBF7E5841470.jpeg

How long has your aquarium been running for as that looks suspiciously like diatoms. If it is diatoms and your aquarium is in cycle currently, it is quite normal during the cycle to have diatoms. They will go away on their own over time (couple weeks to a month usually). If on the glass you can wipe off with paper towels or sponge if wanted. Diatoms can reappear on a mature aquarium, but again they will go away without any intervention in time.

Just swirl your finger through the sand to bury it

Just swirl your finger through the sand to bury it
And that, surely, would just bury a problem to re-emerge later on.

My syphoning is very basic...simply a pipe and a bucket.
That said, over years of practice, with my thumb over the outlet end, I can control the flow.
I 'tickle' the inlet end to just disturb the sand surface and, when the much rises, I can then suck it up.

Look up YouTube videos on managing sand substrate...I recall KGTropicals did a good one.

Diatoms will usually just go away on their own 🤷‍♀️

How long has your aquarium been running for as that looks suspiciously like diatoms. If it is diatoms and your aquarium is in cycle currently, it is quite normal during the cycle to have diatoms. They will go away on their own over time (couple weeks to a month usually). If on the glass you can wipe off with paper towels or sponge if wanted. Diatoms can reappear on a mature aquarium, but again they will go away without any intervention in time.
About a month, tank is already cycled.

And that, surely, would just bury a problem to re-emerge later on.

My syphoning is very basic...simply a pipe and a bucket.
That said, over years of practice, with my thumb over the outlet end, I can control the flow.
I 'tickle' the inlet end to just disturb the sand surface and, when the much rises, I can then suck it up.

Look up YouTube videos on managing sand substrate...I recall KGTropicals did a good one.
I have tried syphining but it just sucks up all the sand which isn’t what I want as there is quite a lot that’s discoloured. Just want to clean it really

If you are gonna have diatoms, it's good to just be on sand rather than your plant leaves. Is this a problem that trumpet snails would sort out? I don't see that on my sand, but I think that's an army of cories ploughing through it every night looking for goodies. If you are still cycling and have no fish yet - all sorts of strange things will happen that I suspect are normal.

Not so sure that’s diatoms as others are referring to, look simply like discoloured sand to me.

Anyway, even if is diatoms they do normally go away once tank is established and with livestock as am unsure if you already have livestock or not as your post does not mention this.

And as for cleaning sand, takes a little practice and there’s several methods but the best I found for me is to use something like one of these gravel cleaners.

And simply hover the end of the pipe just above the sand surface and swirl it a little bit whilst water is travelling though. Bit by bit you’ll get the sand cleaner.

Attachments

• 0D0FF69C-D4E6-4B9F-A537-8DCD005D3E67.jpeg
    0D0FF69C-D4E6-4B9F-A537-8DCD005D3E67.jpeg
    97.5 KB · Views: 37
If you are gonna have diatoms, it's good to just be on sand rather than your plant leaves. Is this a problem that trumpet snails would sort out? I don't see that on my sand, but I think that's an army of cories ploughing through it every night looking for goodies. If you are still cycling and have no fish yet - all sorts of strange things will happen that I suspect are normal.
It’s not just on the sand, it’s all over the plants & rocks etc and the glass, whole tank just looking dirty now so not sure what to do to clean it

It’s not just on the sand, it’s all over the plants & rocks etc and the glass, whole tank just looking dirty now so not sure what to do to clean it
Your tank is looking quite normal, for one that is cycling and without animals in it.
I know you said your tank is 'already cycled', after a month, BUT cycling takes longer than 4 weeks and it is a continual process.

When you first set it up, I'm sure it looked just as nice as those you'd seen in advertising.
Just note that those marvellous tanks you see in advertising photos only look as good for as long as it takes to take the photo.
(The same is often true of those you see online, on YouTube and their like).
Using bright white substrate will only show up the slightest bit of dirt...just wait until your tank has animals in it! ;)

What else is in the tank?
If there's nothing in there and the 'muck' is diatomic, then this will dissipate over time. (Look up 'diatoms and algae' online).

It’s not empty, it has harlequins danios and tetras, the water colour has only changed since adding bog wood, but the brown on sand and plants has just been gradually getting worse, I have added purigen to try & sort the water, which hasn’t made much difference yet (only did it yesterday).

Most reactions

Back