Cleaning A Fish Tank

Fantail_John

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Got a 3ft fish tank to day, but it had been painted on 3 sides, but that was easy to take off by a paint scraper :) also the tank was use for sometime for a snake and then stored in garage, so I bit of cleaning. What would the best thing to use to clean the tank and kill off anything that might be in there :) Thank you :good:

You could try using some kind of anti-bacterial spray without any harsh chemicals etc. Something herbal/natural would be good if you can find it. Give it a really good wipe down and then go over it with water and a cloth and make sure you get rid of it all REALLY thoroughly to prevent poisoning of the fish. I've heard lemon juice can work really well (practical fishkeeping), especially if you have any limescale build up on the tank. Just make sure to get that off really well, as it could alter the pH.

You could try using some kind of anti-bacterial spray without any harsh chemicals etc. Something herbal/natural would be good if you can find it. Give it a really good wipe down and then go over it with water and a cloth and make sure you get rid of it all REALLY thoroughly to prevent poisoning of the fish. I've heard lemon juice can work really well (practical fishkeeping), especially if you have any limescale build up on the tank. Just make sure to get that off really well, as it could alter the pH.

Thank's for your reply :) I was thinking of dettol, the dettol surface cleanser? that you use for kitchen work tops and and food surfaces ect, as on the bottle it says none bleach, no taint or odour. Would this do the job? and I was told a few years ago about lemon juice, as this is what i use for my microwave :)

Thank's for your reply :) I was thinking of dettol, the dettol surface cleanser? that you use for kitchen work tops and and food surfaces ect, as on the bottle it says none bleach, no taint or odour. Would this do the job? and I was told a few years ago about lemon juice, as this is what i use for my microwave :)

I'm not sure on dettol. I wouldn't like to say for sure, but I don't see any reason for it to be a problem providing you wash it off thoroughly :)

I'm not sure on dettol. I wouldn't like to say for sure, but I don't see any reason for it to be a problem providing you wash it off thoroughly :)

I will see if anyone else replies, as I not doing it tonight lol done to much today trying to find a tank and taking off the pain! so will clean out tomorrow :) Than I'll be happy when I start my first real planting :)

It's better not to use anything like Dettol or anti-bacterial cleaners. All you need is a strong salt solution (you can use it dry as an abrasive too), hot water and elbow grease :) Lemon juice and salt will get of limescale.

Then leave it to dry completely and it'll be safe for fish.

To be honest, I wouldn't add anything that's chemically synthesised. The best way to kill off the harmful bacteria is to wash it with salt water. You could perhaps get a clean cloth and dip it in a high concentrated salt. You can even use table salt since you're going to rinse it off with clean water.

To be honest, I wouldn't add anything that's chemically synthesised. The best way to kill off the harmful bacteria is to wash it with salt water. You could perhaps get a clean cloth and dip it in a high concentrated salt. You can even use table salt since you're going to rinse it off with clean water.

Just got told that white vinegar, baking soda and water will make the tank clean and not do any harm? one of the best ways to clean a fish tank.

Yes, they'll all work and are easily rinsed away :)

Most reactions

Back