Cleaning A Filter

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sbenbow

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
What's the best way to clean an in-tank filter without getting rid of all the good bacteria?

eg - Do I fill a jug with water from the aquarium, move the filter quickly from the aquarium to the jug, and then dismantle the filter in order to get one of the two filter sponges out?  Do i then just squeeze clean the filter sponge (whilst in the jug and wet), return it to the filter, and put it back into the aquarium?  Or do i take the sponge out completely, wash it thoroughly under the tap, and then put it back (and hope the "good bacteria" on the second sponge in the filter soon grows back onto the first sponge)?

I'd heard that taking the filter out of the water to clean it would kill the good bacteria - hence the transferring it to a jug to open it up (rather than disturb the fish and have any "gunk" float out).

Any other ideas?

How I clean mine.  I fill a container with tank water, place the media (I have sponges and bio tablets... whatever those are called) in the water.  I used a toothbrush to scrub the plastic casing (mine always has something built up in there).  Then reassemble the plastic bits and impellor.  If my media has slimy scum on it I give it a gentle squeeze to get any loose debris out... I usually have to refill the container with more tank water and give it a second light squeeze to make sure I'm not going to put it in the filter turn it on and loose particles blow in my clean tank water (yeah, I've done that before!)  I usually clean the sponges/media once a month or more.

Do both foams, you're cleaning them not replacing them with new ones, no need to keep the foams under water either they will remain damp enough for long enough, to be cleaned, used tank water is preferred but even using conditioned water would cause no real loss in bacteria. Two tight squeezes are all that's required to remove excess grime in your jug of tank water, reassemble and any muck that's expelled when the filter is refitted and switched on will soon be reprocessed by the filter.

Thanks for the advice!  I now have a plan of attack :)

Most reactions

Back