Clay Ornaments....

Jimmy Twotimes

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi Friends

Am i right in believing things made of clay can be used in aquariums as decorations?

If this is the case, does it have to be a specific type of clay and can it be glazed without fear of leaking toxins?

Thing is my wife has a degree in Pottery and has all the gear!!!! Seems a waste not to be able to come up with some cool ornamnet for the fishes to swim in and out of if we can use clay in the water.

Any experiences??

Jimmy

Hi, plenty of people put terracotta pots in thier tanks with no problems and they aren,t even glazed. I can,t see any problems, maybe someone else can?

I've used a simple terracotta pot in my smaller tank for years and haven't had any problems. Don't know about other types of clay though.

mmmm, i'd be a little worried about some of the glazes leeching toxins. of course, glazes these days are no longer lead based and therefore safe for humans to use, so i should think they'd be okay. don't know about special ones like ash glazing (if that might leave something on the pot or not). but you could certainly use regular unglazed pots (just not ones that were decorated witha slip, would probably eventually come off the pot and into the water). :)

I've got 2 terracotta pots in my cichlid tank and regularly use terracotta flower pots as hidey holes, all with no problems

Most reactions

Back