Clamped Fin Lethargic Betta

Honestly I think it's over. That shape spells the beginning of the end. If ever I see a fish like this - I euthanize it. They don't tend to last long at this point.

Do you live plants with him, floating plants are important to make him feel safe.
Which type do you recommend?
I have only ever used bamboo with mine.
I can tell this poor guy is giving everything he has to hold on.
I've never had/got a betta in this condition.
Thank you

Do you live plants with him, floating plants are important to make him feel safe.
Honestly I think it's over. That shape spells the beginning of the end. If ever I see a fish like this - I euthanize it. They don't tend to last long at this point.
And I check on him now and he's straightened out and swam to the other side of his bowl
Oh I feel so bad for him

Its tough when you know they are struggling. well done on all the effort you are putting in for him.

Oh, I'm sure you do.
You stick a fish in a goldfish bowl, apparently research on how to properly look after him, don't do it and this is what you get. :(
And the poor guy who knows what his life was at the petstore and how long he was in that tiny container for.
I have a 4 year old betta in a 5 gallon bowl and he's super happy and flourishing.
I'll try a tank for my new guy.
Are there any specific plants you could recommend for his tank?
My other one has bamboo and loves it, but I would love to try another kind.
Thanks for all your input
I appreciate the help very much
your doing your best and thats what counts the most wether he lives or not

Its tough when you know they are struggling. well done on all the effort you are putting in for him.
Thank you
I appreciate your kindness
He's been swimming around more today and blowing more happy bubbles
And HUGE improvement.....
He's hanging out by the bamboo!!!

Attachments

• 20211011_192932.jpg
    20211011_192932.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211011_193315.jpg
    20211011_193315.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20211011_192756.jpg
    20211011_192756.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 27
Thank you
I appreciate your kindness
He's been swimming around more today and blowing more happy bubbles
And HUGE improvement.....
He's hanging out by the bamboo!!!

Mine has a plant that's thick enough that he can rest on and he seems to like that a lot, and I have him in a three and a half gallon tank with a very low-power filter on it (about $7 on Amazon).
He also has a pineapple he can go hide in to relieve stress. Like, the SpongeBob pineapple under the sea, it was my son's idea but my betta has sure taken to it.
You've got a very pretty guy there and I'm glad that you're going to take care of him :)

And the poor guy who knows what his life was at the petstore and how long he was in that tiny container for.
I have a 4 year old betta in a 5 gallon bowl and he's super happy and flourishing.
I'll try a tank for my new guy.
Are there any specific plants you could recommend for his tank?
My other one has bamboo and loves it, but I would love to try another kind.
Thanks for all your input
I appreciate the help very much

Hello, he’s going to be very stressed and water quality and temperature are going to be very important.
He needs the water temperature to be 75-80 degrees F and if it’s colder than this then his immune system will be affected and this will make him more susceptible to other illnesses.
He also needs soft water, do you know how hard your tap water is?
How large is the bowl you have put him in? Did you treat the tap water for chlorine/chloramine before putting him in it? He really needs plants, especially floating ones so he has somewhere to hide and rest.

There‘s lots more but this would be a good starting point.

He's a fighter indeed. I thought he was a total goner. Good on you and him.

I wasn’t sure this thread was going to have such a positive update, fingers crossed he keeps improving.

I will just add my thoughts on “rescuing“ Betta fish from these “tiny cups” in pet shops…if we refused to buy them, the shops would either stop selling them, or improve the conditions in which they hold them.

My lfs (Maidenhead Aquatics) have ‘upgraded’ their Betta section to tiny, square tanks in a 5x5 rack. They are only just wider than the fish are long…have they heard my opinion on that !! 😡

Betta Hotels are the only way to keep multiple fish for sale. Usually, six-by-six inch compartments. About two hundred compartments to a hotel. Linked to one filtration system.

Most reactions

Back