Clamped Fin Lethargic Betta

Erin Rose

Reaction score
Hi there,
I just brought this poor betta home from the petstore today and I have done some reading about possible reasons for his unhappiness.

I put him in a larger bowl with clean water and wrapped a really warm cozy around his bowl.
Should I wait a few days and see if he improves?
I can't get a thermometer for a few days, or stips to test the ph levels.
I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions/guidence for how to help him pls?
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20211007_163053.jpg
    20211007_163053.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 44
Hello, he’s going to be very stressed and water quality and temperature are going to be very important.
He needs the water temperature to be 75-80 degrees F and if it’s colder than this then his immune system will be affected and this will make him more susceptible to other illnesses.
He also needs soft water, do you know how hard your tap water is?
How large is the bowl you have put him in? Did you treat the tap water for chlorine/chloramine before putting him in it? He really needs plants, especially floating ones so he has somewhere to hide and rest.

There‘s lots more but this would be a good starting point.

Mine has a plant that's thick enough that he can rest on and he seems to like that a lot, and I have him in a three and a half gallon tank with a very low-power filter on it (about $7 on Amazon).
He also has a pineapple he can go hide in to relieve stress. Like, the SpongeBob pineapple under the sea, it was my son's idea but my betta has sure taken to it.
You've got a very pretty guy there and I'm glad that you're going to take care of him :)

Hi there,
I just brought this poor betta home from the petstore today and I have done some reading about possible reasons for his unhappiness.
So you put him in a 5 gallon, (minimum), cycled tank, with a small filter and a thermometer and conditioned water?
You added lots of plants and then left him in the dark to chill, after the trauma of the shop and subsequent journey?
In the meantime, you've ordered a full test kit so you can monitor his water and you have the right food to feed him with tomorrow?

Do you think we were too late to help this one..? Nothing since the original post….

The betta would not have lasted long in the vase/jar I see in the photo... especially since he was already sick/stressed from the pet store. Hopefully the OP was able to manage a better setting for him.

Hello, he’s going to be very stressed and water quality and temperature are going to be very important.
He needs the water temperature to be 75-80 degrees F and if it’s colder than this then his immune system will be affected and this will make him more susceptible to other illnesses.
He also needs soft water, do you know how hard your tap water is?
How large is the bowl you have put him in? Did you treat the tap water for chlorine/chloramine before putting him in it? He really needs plants, especially floating ones so he has somewhere to hide and rest.

There‘s lots more but this would be a good starting point.
Hi there,
Thank you for your reply

Right now he is in a 2 gallon bowl with 2 healthy bamboo shoots in bottled spring water.
The betta would not have lasted long in the vase/jar I see in the photo... especially since he was already sick/stressed from the pet store. Hopefully the OP was able to manage a better setting for him.
Okay, I wasn't sure if it was okay to transfer him into a huge one right away.
I thought I was supposed to gradually increase tank size.
I have a 4 year old yellow beta who has been in 5 gallon and is such a happy boy.

I will get a larger tank for my new guy.
He hasn't eaten since I brought him home and just stays at the top of the bowl not swimming.

So you put him in a 5 gallon, (minimum), cycled tank, with a small filter and a thermometer and conditioned water?
You added lots of plants and then left him in the dark to chill, after the trauma of the shop and subsequent journey?
In the meantime, you've ordered a full test kit so you can monitor his water and you have the right food to feed him with tomorrow?
Yes I've done all that
He is in sping water
Still hasn't eaten since bringing him home and just sits at the top not swimming
He has a bit of a curve in his body and is very thin

Most reactions

Back