Cichlids For 2Ftx2Ftx2Ft Cube?

Ashley1991

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi all been a while since i have been on here

i have a 2ft sumped cube that was going too be marine but due to costs switching it to tropical

would any cichlids fit in this? i have one krib i was going to move over but he can stay in his current tank if need be :)

or any other fish that live among rocks? dont want to do plants again lol

thanks

You could go with a bunch of dwarfs like multies (shell dwellers) or set up a tanganyikan tank. Most of them stay decently small.

a 2x2x2 is a decent sized tank and amount of water at 50 uk gallons plus you have the sump. You could definitely fit some well selected cichlids in a tank this size.

What you go for depends on the kind of set-up you want and possibly what water you have coming out of your tap.

Obvious two choices are either a rocky African theme or an amazon branchy wood type set-up. Your tank dimensions are quite cool so either way it could look good.

If you go for a amazon theme add a pair or two of apistos or rams. A large group of tetra (20+)rummynose are active and beautiful middle duellers, a group of hatchet fish 8+ for the upper levels and a group of corys for tank floor. Corydoras sterbai would be a good choice add 10+ of these. Some pencil fish would also be a good addition in a tank set-up like this and are a little different and have interesting social interactions I've found. You could even add a nice plec for added interest, just make sure its one that doesn't grow to big. The krib should be fine with these fish.

hey thanks for the replies i am leaning more towards a rocky setup me and plants in the past have got on ok but not super amazing lol

would the krib be ok with lake tanganyikan cichlids or not? im guessing not

im really liking the look of some of the julidpchromis family and neolamprologun tretocephalus

hey thanks for the replies i am leaning more towards a rocky setup me and plants in the past have got on ok but not super amazing lol

would the krib be ok with lake tanganyikan cichlids or not? im guessing not

im really liking the look of some of the julidpchromis family and neolamprologun tretocephalus

Kribs with Tangs? No, definitely not :no:

2ft isn`t actually a big size to be honest but you could have either a pair (or 2 pairs) of multifasciatus or brevis in there and one julidochromis, dickfeldi or marlieri will hopefully stay small enough and use the rocks as it`s area. Neolamprologus tretocephalus, known as five bar cichlids are a no no for a tank that size imo.

Tangs don`t normally have any plants in the setups so rocks and shells with a sand substrate will be plenty :good:

Nanochromis Transvestitus :good:

Nanochromis_transvestitus_04.jpg

£16 a pair at my lfs. Very interesting dwarf cichlid. Very striking with black and white tails contrasting with purple bellies.

Nanochromis Transvestitus :good:

Nanochromis_transvestitus_04.jpg

Pretty little fish but require lots of hiding places and much softer water/lower ph than any of the Tangs :/ Ok I`m biased for the Tangs :lol:

Most reactions

Back