Cichlid

just wanted to apologize, didnt mean to make you feel bad, like stang1 said were just lightening up the mood...
when i posted i was in a hurry, didnt have time to give a full answer...with the yellow lab, african cichlids would be more appropriate, but like previous posters asked, the tank size is needed info...

Again sorry

right know they are in a 10 gallon but im moving them in a 40 gallon in a couple of days. until i can get my bigger one. im hoping for a 90 gallon

right know they are in a 10 gallon but im moving them in a 40 gallon in a couple of days. until i can get my bigger one. im hoping for a 90 gallon
How many, and what kind of cichlids do you have?

If you could provide Scientific names that would be great.

Click on my sig where it says African Cichlid Index to find their scientific names.

I would say 6 Cichlids(depending on what kind they are) would be the max for a 40 gallon tank, you could maybe squeeze in 8. So if you dont have six yet, your could get more.

Like I sated above, you could get some Synodontis Petricola catfish(3 minimum), as they are really good bottom dwellers, and unlike cories, the Cichlids will not bother them. You can get the catfish plus the six/eight cichlids that you could have in your 40 gallon tank.

As for smaller fish go, I would try to avoid them. As when the Cichlids grow and get larger, they will most likely eat the smaller fish.

But your best and safest bet for right now for a 40 gallon tank is to get more cichlids, until you move up to a larger tank. When you move up to a lager tank your stocking options will open up more. :good:

Look into the catfish if you are interested. I have a couple and they are great tank mates for my Cichlids!

EDIT: I just read your aquariums in your profile and sees that you have 2 Cichlids already, that means you could get at least 4 more for your 40 gallon.

NOTE: When buying more Cichlids, make sure they are roughly the same size as the ones you have now. If you buy bigger ones, they will most likely bully the other ones around.

Cichlids are very territorial and aggressive fish, and will get more aggressive when they get bigger, so make sure you provide plenty of hiding places in you aquarium, especially when getting more Cichlids. i.e. a lot of plants and rocks/wood to provide caves.

Try to avoid buying a Metriaclima Estherae Cichlid as they are pretty aggressive Cichlids. If you get a bigger tank than 40 gallons, I would say it would be okay to get one. I have one in my 29 gallon, and boy was that a mistake. Unfortunately I have provided a lot of cover, and he seems not to be too bad.

Hope this helps!
-FHM

How many, and what kind of cichlids do you have?

If you could provide Scientific names that would be great.

Click on my sig where it says African Cichlid Index to find their scientific names.

I would say 6 Cichlids(depending on what kind they are) would be the max for a 40 gallon tank, you could maybe squeeze in 8. So if you dont have six yet, your could get more.

Like I sated above, you could get some Synodontis Petricola catfish(3 minimum), as they are really good bottom dwellers, and unlike cories, the Cichlids will not bother them. You can get the catfish plus the six/eight cichlids that you could have in your 40 gallon tank.

As for smaller fish go, I would try to avoid them. As when the Cichlids grow and get larger, they will most likely eat the smaller fish.

But your best and safest bet for right now for a 40 gallon tank is to get more cichlids, until you move up to a larger tank. When you move up to a lager tank your stocking options will open up more. :good:

Look into the catfish if you are interested. I have a couple and they are great tank mates for my Cichlids!

EDIT: I just read your aquariums in your profile and sees that you have 2 Cichlids already, that means you could get at least 4 more for your 40 gallon.

NOTE: When buying more Cichlids, make sure they are roughly the same size as the ones you have now. If you buy bigger ones, they will most likely bully the other ones around.

Cichlids are very territorial and aggressive fish, and will get more aggressive when they get bigger, so make sure you provide plenty of hiding places in you aquarium, especially when getting more Cichlids. i.e. a lot of plants and rocks/wood to provide caves.

Try to avoid buying a Metriaclima Estherae Cichlid as they are pretty aggressive Cichlids. If you get a bigger tank than 40 gallons, I would say it would be okay to get one. I have one in my 29 gallon, and boy was that a mistake. Unfortunately I have provided a lot of cover, and he seems not to be too bad.

Hope this helps!
-FHM

I think the yellow one is a yellow lab electric and an electric blue. i plan on a lot of plants and some caves thanks for your help. i would love to get catfish.

Looks like you are in a good position, as yellow labs are one of the lease aggressive African Cichlids you can get.

I would then suggest up to 4-6 more cichlids for a 40 gallon, and try not to get a Metriaclima Estherae Cichlid, unless he is a little smaller than the rest, and you provide plenty of hiding places.

The catfish are great and you wont be disappointed, as the Cichlids love them, and will not harm them.

If you go with live pants....you will have to be very cautious when buying plants for a Cichlid tank, as Cichlids like to dig up/bite the plants. so you will have to get hardy plants.

If you want more info on what kind of plants for a Cichlid tank, you could start another thread asking for advice, or visit here.

If you do not want to deal with live plants; fake ones will work just fine. :good:

Just provide plenty of caves/hiding places for them.

-FHM

also stay away from "kenyi" and "bumblebee" cichlids as they are very aggressive.

Most reactions

Back