Cichlid Fish Id Please

3matthew3

Reaction score
I was wondering what exactly this fish is...

gymnio.jpg

I believe this following fish is a Geophagus (sp?) what kind?

geo1.jpg

can these fish breed? They sometimes seem to have a yelling match, and sometimes they lip-lock?

together.jpg

Can anyone tell me the gender of these fish? I believe the Geophagus is Male due to the hump, but am not exactly sure what the other species is?

Any help appreciated.
3Matthew3

Hi there,

First fish is Acarichthys heckelii and the second looks like 'Geophagus' steindachneri.

Both are from the Geophagine family of cichlids (earth eaters), but I would say are too distantly related to breed. Chances are you have 2 males and the lip locking display is just squabbles over territorial space in your tank.

Andrew

Great looking fish, have you had them long ?

I notice in your pics you use gravel, Eartheaters such as yours love to sift through the substrate finding scraps of food therefore a sand substrate is prefered.

Don't take this as a criticism, it's not, as your fish look great and if they're happy and feeding well then that's the most important thing.

the second definately is steindachneri. 100% not sure about the first

Hi there,

First fish is Acarichthys heckelii and the second looks like 'Geophagus' steindachneri.

Both are from the Geophagine family of cichlids (earth eaters), but I would say are too distantly related to breed. Chances are you have 2 males and the lip locking display is just squabbles over territorial space in your tank.

Andrew

I thought the the second one was a Geophagus steindachneri... But couldn't find any info on the first.... I believe you are correct tho, after reading about the Acarichthys heckelii. My local LFS store (Elmer's Aquarium - Monroeville, PA) suggested the Acarichthys heckelii as a good fish for my tank, being I already had the Geophagus steindachneri. He had said that they were both from the SAME basic family... and should get along fairly well in my community tank. Which he was correct... They do the screaming/lip lock on occasion, but neither seem real stressed out, so I don't think it's a problem.

And I correct assuming that the Geophagus steindachneri is a MALE? I believe I read that the males develop the red hump that mine now has. I've had the Geophagus steindachneri for about 6 months now, about 4.5-5" in length. ( was about 2" when I purchased him). How much bigger we he get?

I got the Acarichthys heckelii about 4 months ago and it is about 3.5-4" in length. It was the only one that the store had and was QUITE beaten up by its tankmates... so I got it for a discounted 6$. It's fins were badly shredded, but he is a gorgeous fish now... He started developing the RED THREADS from his top fin about a month ago... VERY NEAT!! Any idea how to sex this breed?

Thanks,
3Matthew3

The males get the long red trailers ... that simple really Lol. My fellas trailers are nearly 1inch now Lol. The above picture is an old one and his colours are alot better now !!

Joel

Great looking fish, have you had them long ?

I notice in your pics you use gravel, Eartheaters such as yours love to sift through the substrate finding scraps of food therefore a sand substrate is prefered.

Don't take this as a criticism, it's not, as your fish look great and if they're happy and feeding well then that's the most important thing.

I've had them for 4-6 months... Grown quite a bit.... I do realize the Gravel is NOT CORRECT for the type of fish... They don't seem to mind it tho... They both have large enough mouths to still pick up quite a bit of gravel and sift through... is my gravel ACTUALLY BAD FOR THE HEALTH OF THE FISH? If so, I would be willing to change, at a later time.

Right now in my 55gal community tank I have (It's overstocked, I think, But plan to upgrade as the fish get larger)
1 Gold Severum
1 Acarichthys heckelii
1 Geophagus Sp...
1 African Brown Knifefish
1 Bamboo Shrimp
1 Albino Frog
1 Asian Upside-Down Catfish
1 Pictus Catfish
2 Australian Rainbowfish
1 Gourami
1 Weather Loach
1 pleco

no fish larger than 4 -7 " at this time.
Is this MAJORLY overstocked? I do plan on getting a 90 gal or larger in the near future (next year's income tax)... Sorry, I've only been into the whole fish scene for a year now... fun fun fun, tho...

3Matthew3
My Webpage

Most reactions

Back