Christmas Is Coming...

fishwatcher

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
South Carolina... Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places.
I may be getting a 55g for Christmas, and am thinking of this stocking for it:
1 JD
1 Firemouth
1 RTBS or peacock eel
6 rosy barbs (I've read some places that say they should get about 5", some that say only 2.5" - which is correct?)

Would this work or would it be too much? If it would work, I'd get the rosy barbs and either the shark or eel now and let them be growing, then get the jd and firemouth after the larger tank is set up.
Thanks!

Rosey barbs arent a good choice with cichlids or the aggression. AT my favorite lfs, they got a extra shipment of jds, by accident, and had no where to put them, so they put them in a tank with 10 roseys, the roseys were all dead in a week. So those probably arent the best idea. Everything else should work though.

i dont know much about rosys and their aggression but its better to take it from someone with experience. imo you could increase the number of the eel, peacocks look lovely in lets say, 2 or 3. i dont think they would show aggression to each other unlike fire eels.

i know nothing about eels but i think a jd and a couple of eels would at least look pretty cool if it's possible

My lfs (I went to pick up some more salt for my marine tank) said that an oscar, a JD, a firemouth and either the eels or a plec would all fit fine in a 55. Now, that seems quite a bit of stock to me, but according to that fellow having them heavily stocked like that cuts down on aggression. He even went so far as to say that he would put 4-6 large cichlids in that tank for that reason.
Is he just nuts, or do people really do that???
Also, do you think the RTBS would work with a jd, firemouth and 2-3 peacock eels, or just the jd or firemouth and RTBS or eels?
If the shark wouldn't hurt the eels I'd really like to have both of them if they'd all be ok with the cichlid.

ETA: Just so you know, I'm not planning on that kind of stocking the lfs said. I just am wondering if that's a normal thing.

I think the oscar would be too much, I wouldn't put an O in anything less than 75 gallons, esp. with other fish.

I think a JD and FM would be nice, I don't know enough about the eels to comment. What about two of either JD or FM (same sex) and one of the other? Not sure which would work best, but of course it would also rely heavily on their temperments.

The rosy barbs probably wont be a good idea to have in with the firemouth and the JD. Too much aggression will come from the cichlids. I use to have some tiger barbs in with a yellow lab and a cichlid I dont recall the name of. The Tiger Barbs were chewed up by the cichlids and now ive realized why it was stupid of me to get the cichlids after that occured. The Cichlids are dead though. Dont remember what happend anymore becasue that was 1 and a halfyears ago.

Squidman :unsure: :drool:

in a 55, i wouldn't have any oscar. it's pretty much garanteed that it will outgrow a 55 and why go thru all the trouble and stress of taking it back to a lfs? i mean, i suppose you could but it doesn't make much sense. IMHO i'd rule the oscar out. a texas and a firemouth with some pictus' might be ok for a 55 but i don't think much else. :(

Rosy barbs should be fine with your fish. You may lose an occasional barb, that's what happens to dithers sometimes, but overall they should be ok. Ime, rosies will grow to maybe 3"; typically, more like 2". Pretty much the same as tiger barbs (which are also decent as dithers).

in a 55, i wouldn't have any oscar. it's pretty much garanteed that it will outgrow a 55 and why go thru all the trouble and stress of taking it back to a lfs? i mean, i suppose you could but it doesn't make much sense. IMHO i'd rule the oscar out. a texas and a firemouth with some pictus' might be ok for a 55 but i don't think much else. :(
i agree with the oscar problem. better have something else which could stay in the 55g without the need to move it out

So, how about a smallish oscar, a firemouth and a texas cichlid, with a couple of pictus cats? (The lfs told me they'd take the oscar back when/if it got too large for the tank.)

It may be smallish for the first few months but it will grow quickly and he will not sty smallish. Best to listen to everyone else, 75G is a min IMO as well, though with other cichlids, a 90 or 100G is much better to allow for more territory :good:

EDIT: Just thought too, what the #### is up with your lfs? I would stop going there if they told me that its ok to put an o, jd, fm, and an eel or plec (most likely a common that grows to 24"+) in the 55G because they don't care about the fish or your fishkeeping experience, only that they want the $30 you would spend... my 2cents

Most reactions

Back