Choosing Fish For A Fluval Edge

Thanks for the replies. My tank is still a few weeks away from putting fish in but would like to get an idea as soon as possible as to what to put in. Can you mix and match different types of shrimp or would it be best to just keep with one (cherry shrimp)? Also I would love to have some sort of Plec in my tank, I know that they normally grow quite big so wouldn't get one for my tank but is there any sorts that stay small enough for the Fluval Edge? Sorry for all the questions, am new to keeping tropical fish.

The only 'plecs' I can think of that would be even vaguely suitable are otocinclus. However, these guys do get to well over and inch and would need to be in a group of at least 4-6. They'd be instead of some shoaling fish, not as well as.

Personally, I wouldn't add them to a tank that small.

Other plecs that are more of a traditional plec shape will get too big. They produce a lot of waste, probably more than the inbuilt filtration could handle, and they'll all get to at least 3 inches (many of them get much, much larger) which would give them very, very little room to move around. I really, really wouldn't recommend it.

I have done allot of looking into this and still haven't really got anywhere. I asked my LFS just out of interest and actually said pretty much what you guys & gals have. No plec's as although the filter (when working) is really good it just isn't a big enough water volume for the waste.

They suggested that I looked at having something like:

3x Otocinclus
5x Kuhli Loach (although these get a little longer than normal for the rules they don't produce huge amounts of waste and keep to themselves in groups so should be OK)
1 x betta or 2 x dwarf gurami

They said although this is technically overstocked and they would not advise a newbie like myself as long as I put the time and effort to test the water every other day and change the water with a large(ish) water change around 40% once a week then I should be OK.

This although I always kind of hesitate at the LFS advise seemed to be good info and they said if anything happens let them know and they will either come out and look at my fish or give me store credit should anything happen to them in the first month (free of charge). They also said they will not let me have fish without testing the water first.

Kind Regards,

Adam

Dwarf gouramis will get too big, IMO. Better choices would be very tiny gourami such as sparkling gourmai that stay under an inch. They (like the bettas) need air so a lower water level is needed.

A betta is possible but due to their need for air (as in, atmospheric air, not dissolved air), you'd need to lower the water level by a good inch or so. They'd also not mix well with other fish in such a small tank, and may attack shrimp if you have any.

Khuli loaches keep getting mentioned for small tanks but they get to 3-4 inches long so I don't know why. They need a very soft substrate (so sand) and need groups. I'd never recommend them for such a small tank.

If you want something a little unusual, you could consider a single dwarf puffer. However, you'd need to keep very close eye on water stats and these are NOT beginners fish. A lot of research would be required.

You'd also need to consider your cycle - I'd always recommend a fishless cycle but this is especially important with very small fish and delicate fish such as puffers.

I dont think any pleco or any catfish infact is suitable for a Fluval EDGE

Thanks for the input Assaye.

As I said it was only LFS info. I think allot of people recommend them because when they are in tanks in groups ideally 5 or more they curl up together and do not really conform to what the standard basic rules i.e the 1" per gallon that is very much just a thumb rule rather than calculated.

I don't see the issue with the air for the betta assuming you don't have a load of floating plants or other plants scape that would easily cover the void in the middle. My friend has kept a betta in his without any problems and had the water line to the tank top. The betta is still happy there after a year or so. Althogth yes I see what you mean about size and having a tank by itself although a few would probably be OK I would have thought.

I also personally think that sparkling gourmai would be better than drawf and maybe I should have posted that. Just wanted to show what the LFS stated.

As you said about the dwarf puffer that is not really a good fish for a beginner and you would only be able to have that on it's own as they would probably attack anything else in the tank and kill it. I did actually look into this and decided that it was purly that it would cause more problems with having anything else in the tank rather than the difficulty of looking after it.

I am assuming that this will have a completed fishless cycle before stocking.

MFZB,

In regards to adding fish all at once. If you are fishless cycling and putting them in once it is finished there is no reason why you could not put them all in at once but remember you need to take your time adding them rather than dropping them straight in so they would require another bucket or the like to keep them in while you add your fish or shrimp first.

If you don't stock your tank all at once and assuming you have finished the cycle period then you will probably have to wait a few weeks to a month for the colony to establish itself first and make sure it is ready so it doesn't mini cycle when you add the shrimp.

It's really up too you. Once you know your bacteria colony has established if you add the fish only and wait a few weeks to make sure all is good you can add all the shrimp at once as the bacteria colony can double in size over 24 hours which would be more than enough for the shrimp you would be adding.

Kind Regards,

Adam

hey guys im new to this forum and aquariums in general!

as like any other hobby i try to find a forum to join.

everyone seems a lot nicer than the forums im used to haha but any, i have a quick question

is the fishless cycle a must for the fluval edge?

and can i still run a cycle while having fish in there?

hey guys im new to this forum and aquariums in general!

as like any other hobby i try to find a forum to join.

everyone seems a lot nicer than the forums im used to haha but any, i have a quick question

is the fishless cycle a must for the fluval edge?

and can i still run a cycle while having fish in there?
Hello merrr and Welcome to our beginners section!

We have a number of Fluval Edge hobbyists within TFF and if you are lucky you may be able to get them to point you to posts about how they have gone about things with the Edge. I believe once upon a time people did various hardware mods to try and help these kits work better. The filters on small tanks can sometimes be frustrating for beginners because the media beds are small and allow a lot of leak-through, making the filtering process less efficient and taking longer to cycle possibly. Likewise, smaller tanks in general are less forgiving for beginners because water chemistry changes happen faster in smaller volumes (especially as you move into the range of 20G/76L or less.) None of these things will slow down a determined new hobbyist though and we have people with beautiful Edge setups I believe.

When fish respire by pulling water through their gills, they give off waste ammonia (NH3) directly from the gills. This is their equivalent of breathing of course and unlike us, they have no need to retain water (we do not give off ammonia when breathing because our kidney/bladder system wants to preserve water since we are land animals.) Even small fish put off a ton of ammonia just by being alive. Then, to add to this, excess fishfood, fish wasted and live plant debris are all broken down by heterotrophic bacteria (not the ones we try to grow in our filters) into... more ammonia!

Ammonia, even in tiny amounts, causes gill damage and can result in permanent injury or death. The first specific family of bacteria we grow in our filters (call them the A-Bacs) will break this ammonia down in to nitrite(NO2) and as long as we have enough of these bacteria and keep them alive, they will do this on and on for years.

Unfortunately, nitrite(NO2) is ALSO a deadly fish poison, just like ammonia. Even in tiny amounts it attaches to the hemoglobin protein on red blood cells and turns those cells into brown mush, quickly causing suffocation, nerve and brain damage and subsequent death. The second specific family of autotrophic bacteria we grow (call them the N-Bacs) will process nitrite(NO2) in to nitrate(NO3), which is not nearly as deadly and can be removed from our tanks with the weekly water change.

The process of growing these two types of beneficial bacteria is what produces a "working biofilter," one of the three major filtration functions of a filter and the one that is most core to a beginner becoming skilled in the freshwater fishkeeping hobby. In our beginner section we pride ourselves in not just getting tanks started but in helping each other become skilled and at really learning our hobby. The use of good test kits is, more than anything else, part of the process that helps us see and learn this core skill more deeply, so that we can exercise our knowledge later with greater flexibility in different situations.

Getting a tank "cycled" as quickly as possible is cheating yourself out of this core learning and is contrary to the "zen" of the hobby (I feel) in that this hobby is unlike many others: it is all about slowing down and relaxing, as opposed to "more and faster." Your tank can be your haven away from the world you have left behind when you shut your front door in the evening. There is nothing quite like sitting in front of a nicely lighted tank in a dimly lit room! Agree?

What is so fascinating about the Fishless Cycle is that it allows us focus on learning about nature's Nitrogen Cycle and about how our particular tank and water chemistry respond to things -prior- to putting our fish in danger. Its simply impossible for beginners to make mistakes with the gills and nerves of their new responsibilities because the fish are simply not in there! When the fish are finally added to the cycled and fully functioning environment, it is sometimes the best water they've ever been in and it shows in their energy and vitality.

Real cycling, whether Fishless or Fish-In comes as a shock to many newcomers to the hobby. Either type of cycling can take 6 to 9 weeks of long frustrating work. Planned Fish-In cycling can be nearly as safe as Fishless Cycling if done well, but Fish-In cycling in general is usually harder work because you must be the manual daily filter for your fish, in addition to water testing, you must very frequently change the used water for fresh water, via sometimes daily gravel-clean-water-changes.

Good luck here in the forum and I hope you will enjoy your interactions. We have a lot of great members here.

~~waterdrop~~ :)

Hi.

I was planning on getting an Oto, but apparently they're shoaling fish and I've already allocated tank space (in theory) to a male Betta and 4 Galaxy Rasboras....does anyone know if there is a small suckerfish that can live solo in a Fluval Edge?

Also, is 4 Rasboras too little?

Jen and Mike

Most reactions

Back