Choose Me Some Dithers

foley69

Fish Addict
Reaction score
hi all im after a shoaling fish for my 33gal tank to go in with my EBJD i was thinking odessa barbs as theey are peacful stunning and dont eat plants :)

heres the tank
fishtank.jpg

If your ebjd growns difthers will be lunch. If you get a reject runt like mine then fast difther could work. Barbs are strong fast fish and it might be ok. But from what I learned it's a waste of money to try difthers with large cichlids. Out of 20 tetras I have 3 left and they are in a saver tank now.

i was thinking barbs was considering rainbows but they get too big and as this is only a grow out tank for my EBJD until i can free up some space in my 75 i was just thinking of something for this tank thats not gonna be too small and whats not gonna be too big for the tank so my mind was on odessa's but if you have any type of barb other than odessas's that i may have not thought about i will be gratful :)

i was thinking them as well but i was wondering if anyone knew of anything more exotic i mean my EBJD is only about 2" i dont plan on keeping him in there when he is anything bigger than 5-6"

I had 10 tiger barbs in with my 4 inch oscar, the barbs were actually a good size... no agression from the oscar when i was infront of the tank.... but when the lights went off. Lets just say i'm 5 tiger barbs down lol. Not saying your jd will be like my oscar but cichlids in general are upredictable.

Unpredictable isnt the word maybe two faced ha but i know what u mean my oscar is quite mellow up to now
But my jd is about 2" so he wnt be eating any barbs anytime soon

I had 10 tiger barbs in with my 4 inch oscar, the barbs were actually a good size... no agression from the oscar when i was infront of the tank.... but when the lights went off. Lets just say i'm 5 tiger barbs down lol. Not saying your jd will be like my oscar but cichlids in general are upredictable.

thats cos if an oscar thinks it can fit it in its mouths it is seen as food. and beleive me these boys can fit a surprising amount in their mouths :lol:

i think either tiger or odessa barbs would work equally well mate. odessas are lovely fish , and will certainly give plenty of movement to the tank.

another alternative to consider , how about swordtails. again colourfull and active , plus with the added bonus of free livefood

Ye im gonna go for em just gotta get em ordered in work they rnt cheap are they either for a barb

i think i paid something like £2.95 each for mina about 2 years ago

Ye sounds about right might see if indonesia have some how many u rekon about 10 ?

Indeed i never really buy any less than 8 for shoals u dont get a good shoaling effect

agreed the bigger the shoal you can have the better the effect , and the happier the fish too .

Agreed especially odessa barbs to get the males vibrant red any way how are your oscars and how big r they

Most reactions

Back