chlorine in water!

jenny124

Reaction score
I am going to ther pet shop tomorrow to get some anti chlorine for my tank the only problem is i think there is too much chlorine in becuase i can see bubbles on the artificial plants! will my fish be ok until i get a chlorine treatment?

Where are you located?

Chlorine is in tap water in the states, You should be using dechlorinator anyway, that should take all chlorine out of your water.

I use stress coat to remove the chlorine from the tap water. Most, if not all, tap water in the uk has chlorine in it.

If it is chlorine only and they live 24 hours in it. Then your doing good seeing how chlorine leaves water in 24 hours. But you really should treat the water for it. Some places here has clorimine and it never leaves the water and is very deadly to fish.

The bubbles are due to the water from your tap being pressurised. They will clear up after a few days!! You should use a good dechlor anyway though!!

also find out whether or not you have chloramine in your water. they recently added it to our tap water here so we had to buy a treatment that doubled for both chlorine and chloramine.

*butting in*
I have tried the treatments that say it kills both chlorine and chloramine, and it does not seem to be working. I also have an ammonia reading in my water.
i heard Prime is supposed to be quite good for chlorine.chloramine.ammonia in water.

Hi Crystal, as far as I understand it, water treatments do not 'kill' chlorine and chloramine but convert them into a different chemical form that makes it safe to add to an aquarium. What brands have you tried that do not seem to be working?

an ammonia reading in your tank suggests that your tank is not yet cycled. Do you think the bacteria yould have been killed by chlorine in your water changes? are you sure your water company has not added something to the water recently?

jenny124, you say you have added water with chloring in to your tank. Chlorine is added to water to kill bacteria in the same way that it is used in a swimming pool. The fact that chlorine kills bacteria means it should never be put into a fish tank as all of the bacteria that turn your fish's waste into nitrite, and nitrate will be killed by the chlorine. Once the bacteria is dead there will be nothing to process the waste untill a new colony grows and your tank is 'cycled' again. This means your fish will be swimming around in ammonia until a new bacteria colony can develop.

ammonia is very poisonous to fish, so it is this rather than the harm caused to the fish by the chlorine itsself that I would be worried about...

no the ammonia could be from the chloramine.
"chlor" is cholorine and "amine" is ammonia. so where is the ammonia comeing from the tap or the tank tes treated water. if it's from the tap then use RO water or u can get something like ammo-lock

hehe, appleblossom: The ammonia is in my tap water. as for my tank, there better be ammonia in it, I am starting to do a fishless cycle. :D
Sorry, I was not thinking right today, I know it does not kill it, but converts it, I had meants that, but it came out the other way.
As for treatments I have tried, I used Aqua plus, and then I changed over to Prime. I am still undecided about that one, but I did not like the aqua plus.

Most reactions

Back