Chinese Bellied Newt

i also have a fire newt and i was wondering if i could keep him with a moray eel

its interesting you should say that, i was talking to someone only yesterday who does just that. they reckon its a fine combination.the only real problem is that the Moray needs much more land than the Newt, and is prone to trying to escape, but it never goes far, they tend to find it in the bath!

if you can, could you post your feeding regime for your tank?
you mean how i feed the pets inside the tank?
i feed the fish and crab with floating pellet, the crab some how only eatt the pellet,and refuse to eat other thing. like meat or fish flesh...

inside there in a sinked bottle cap, half buried into the gravel to put tubiflex worm for the fire belly...

i feed the pellet twice a day...
the crab eat on the land and eat the whole pellet as 1 bite( the pellet only about 1mm in diameter)
so the crab eating quiet neatly and the water condition is good...

i am concerned about those who have CFBN who spend much time out of the water. from my research and the comments on the net, this is, usually, a sign that the water has some problems. the conventional wisdom is that newt, may, spend some time at the surface, kinda half in half out, but rarely, unless there is a problem, spend time out of it. please, i am not saying those who's newts spend time out of the tank, are doing something wrong. its simply this seems different behaviour than the information, avaliable, would suggest.
This is true, it can be a real sign of a problem. It can also mean that the water is too warm, espeically if their throats are moving in an effort to cool themselves. I forgot to mention in my post that the land portion of my tank is flooded with shallow water, so they rest but don't actually get out of the water there. Occasionally they'll climb the plants, but yes, they should prefer to be in the water.

As for the crab (I know I'm late on this, I was out of town for a week), I kept a small fiddler crab with newts before with absolutely no problem. Of course if you go brackish this wouldn't work, but my crab had also been living in freshwater before I got it so I stuck with it.

i am concerned about those who have CFBN who spend much time out of the water. from my research and the comments on the net, this is, usually, a sign that the water has some problems. the conventional wisdom is that newt, may, spend some time at the surface, kinda half in half out, but rarely, unless there is a problem, spend time out of it. please, i am not saying those who's newts spend time out of the tank, are doing something wrong. its simply this seems different behaviour than the information, avaliable, would suggest.
This is true, it can be a real sign of a problem. It can also mean that the water is too warm, espeically if their throats are moving in an effort to cool themselves. I forgot to mention in my post that the land portion of my tank is flooded with shallow water, so they rest but don't actually get out of the water there. Occasionally they'll climb the plants, but yes, they should prefer to be in the water.

As for the crab (I know I'm late on this, I was out of town for a week), I kept a small fiddler crab with newts before with absolutely no problem. Of course if you go brackish this wouldn't work, but my crab had also been living in freshwater before I got it so I stuck with it.

indeed so, 70F is right at the top end of the temp range for CFBN, and would be too cold for the Crabs.

yes......the throat keep moving like frog, i thought it is normal...
the water cant be too warm, it is small tank and kept in air conditioned room, it feel cool if touch the water...

but it really spent almost 100% of the time on land till it really dried...

the crab did no harm to it...
he just pretend that the newt was not there........
but when i push the newt in to the water, it run out of the water as if he hate the water alot...

today i jus did 100% water change today and it still the same.......

please...i don know wat to do.help...

Sorry if I'm wrong, but is the crab still in the same tank as the newt? If so, he could be scaring the newt out of there, even by being mildly territorial. I had one newt go on a rampage once, trying to bite anyone who came in the water, so my other newts refused to go near or in the water. I think they can be very weary of predators in their space.

gusy, you expiriance this before....?

the newt neck torn off...give me e fright, thought beaten by the crab,but showly, the skin come off to the tail...
and come off like snake change skin i think, but this 1 the skin rather look like slime...

is it okay and normal?

yes......the throat keep moving like frog, i thought it is normal...
the water cant be too warm, it is small tank and kept in air conditioned room, it feel cool if touch the water...

but it really spent almost 100% of the time on land till it really dried...

the crab did no harm to it...
he just pretend that the newt was not there........
but when i push the newt in to the water, it run out of the water as if he hate the water alot...

today i jus did 100% water change today and it still the same.......

please...i don know wat to do.help...
sorry this too so long. you aint got Chinese Firebelly newts! you got Japanese Firebelly newts. they are often confused, but the Jap version likes to have land!!!!! phew, see, i told you you were not necessarily doing anything wrong. doing a goo&le search may give you some help now we have the right breed!

gusy, you expiriance this before....?

the newt neck torn off...give me e fright, thought beaten by the crab,but showly, the skin come off to the tail...
and come off like snake change skin i think, but this 1 the skin rather look like slime...

is it okay and normal?

yep the shed skin looks just like black/green slime. i thought at first i had some form of contamination in my tank.

so that case the newt is doing alright?
hmm, but she is not eating as she keep sticking herself on the wall...

sorry, keep giving u guys problems

so that case the newt is doing alright?
hmm, but she is not eating as she keep sticking herself on the wall...

sorry, keep giving u guys problems

it may be the Crab is causing concern, newts tend to eat in the water. well the Chinese ones do. i have no experience with the Japanese variant. all i can really recommend is, you try some net research, and see if anyone else has tried this, and their results.

If he's still not eating you may need to entice him with live food for a while. Can you get a small earthworm and see if he'll eat that? I had to chop worms for my newts for a while when they were settling into their new tank.

i feed him witht the live tubiflex worm, but no respond...

i cant get earth worm here

Most reactions

Back