Chili Rasbora question

DuchessNeeka

Reaction score
Does anyone have a general timeframe on how long it takes chili rasboras to get their colour back after shipping? I've had them for a week now, they have a bit of orange back but are still on the slightly pale side.

I'm feeding them bbs, new life spectrum and Ultra Fresh micron shrimp patties. I feed twice a day.

Parameters:
Temp around 77°
PH 7
Ammonia 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: around 5ppm

Catappa leaves for tannins and light diffusing.

Image is of their tank. Tank buddies are 13 pygmy corys that are doing great (they been T-posing) and a half dozen juvenile amanos that are molting without issue so I know they're doing well.

Attachments

• 20230708_153233.jpg
    20230708_153233.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 44
Not really sure about a time frame. It really depends on the fish, they are probably very stressed but as for an exact time frame it’s hard to say, but I would maybe give it another week and see how they are doing by then.

I figured out the issue. I ordered 15 Chili Rasboras and they sent me the cheaper Spotted Rasboras. As it stands right now, I've overpaid for a rasbora morph that I didn't order.

Unfortunate and disappointing 😞 I love the ones I have but I wanted the strong red to contrast with the greenery and thought about getting some blue dream neos or something.

I figured out the issue. I ordered 15 Chili Rasboras and they sent me the cheaper Spotted Rasboras. As it stands right now, I've overpaid for a rasbora morph that I didn't order.

Unfortunate and disappointing 😞 I love the ones I have but I wanted the strong red to contrast with the greenery and thought about getting some blue dream neos or something.
That’s too bad. What company did that? Nice tank BTW.

I would get some floating plants. These would make the fish 'happier' as those birds circling above the tank won't be able to see them if they turn red. We know there are no birds but the fish don't.

That is very unfortunate what company did you use so we can prevent others from making the same mistake. You could put a review of the company in the review section of the forum as well.

Have you told them? I once received an incorrect order or cories and when I told the company (with photographic evidence) they refunded me, but did not want me to send the fish back.

My Bororas maculatus, which seem to be 'spotted resboras' in some places, were very red. It took a dark tank background - black paint in my case, and about 2-3 weeks every time I moved them.

Around here, chilis and maculatus are always the same price, and chilis are way more common.

We don't know the tank size, but this species will not cause issues and other nano-type fish can be added so all is not lost nor is it unworkable. If these are Boraras maculatus as Gary said, I had these in with a group of B. brigittae many years ago, and they remained together for several years. The only down-side to combining species from this genus is that they might hybridize, and the only danger with this is that you do not ever want to release fry into the hobby. But if they stay with you until natural death, not at all a problem. Mine did.

Shops do struggle with this. I ordered B.brigittae and received a mix of 3 species. No problems.

Most reactions

Back