Cherry shrimps not multiplying?

So it's the shrimps not breeding rather than baby shrimps being eaten.

I wonder if it's too hard for them? Mine are in half your level (117 ppm)
I haven't had that problem before I quit the hobby. They were happy breeding, then they stopped and population dipped.

In addition to 117 ppm GH my KH is 3.4 dKH/61 ppm according to my water company. Although this is quite low I do regular weekly water changes to keep it constant. I've had this shrimp colony since 2012 so my water is OK for them. My tank nitrate is so low it's unmeasurable (my water company gives my tap water average as 2.853).
I've found on my water provider's site:

IMG_3526.jpeg

I was grasping at straws with the hardness, I'm afraid.

One other thing occurred to me since my last post. I'm sure I read somewhere once that shrimps won't breed unless they're "happy". This could mean anything from tank water nitrate being low, to having lots of hiding places, to not being scared by other tank occupants and lots between. The problem is working out what it is that's stopping them breeding.

In your photo I've circled the two hardness units to take note of as those are the two used in fish keeping. We call them by different names from water companies - we call German degrees dH and we call mg/l CaCO3 ppm. (You probably already know this, but other people reading it might not ;) )
Photo.jpg

Most reactions

Back