Cherry Barbs

mrscullen5373

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I know i have done lots of these but there you go!

Its seems nearly everyone has owned cherry barbs before but i cannot find anything that says about what people really think of them as fish.

I have been considering getting a group of them for some time but i need a little persuasion first.

SO what are cherry barbs like?
Any reply is helpful :D x x x

I have six in my tank, 3 male & 3 female.
They are very active chasing each other around but very rarely shoal together. Normally swim in 3s.

Males are much more brightly coloured red with slender bodies.
Females are deeper bodied and much less coloured but have look fantastic in their own way.
They will colour up much more than in shop tanks and you will appreciate the females more.

Far too active to try and get a photograph!

I have six in my tank, 3 male & 3 female.
They are very active chasing each other around but very rarely shoal together. Normally swim in 3s.

Males are much more brightly coloured red with slender bodies.
Females are deeper bodied and much less coloured but have look fantastic in their own way.
They will colour up much more than in shop tanks and you will appreciate the females more.

Far too active to try and get a photograph!
Agree with Barry, I also have a group of six(3m/3f)and are a very peaceful member of the Barb family.

Keith.

they're great fish. cant wait till my stocking thins out and i can up the % of barbs in my tank.

My mum has had Cherry barbs on and off for years and they're very nice. Unlike a lot of barbs (like the tiger barb; my fav!) they don't nip fins or cause any trouble. Get a mixture of male and female (they're easy to sex; the males are bright red; the females are more orange/brown coloured) as the males are spectacular when they're showing off to the females :)

I have 2 males and 4 females.

They are hyperactive. They don't really shoal. The males can get really bright crimson when they are in breeding mode and look spectacular. They don't nip or interfere with the other fish. I really like them. They were my also first tropical fish. :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back