Cherry barbs or flame tetra

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fishyyyy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi
I have a 64 litre tank 60x32x37cm (16.9 US gallons) and water hardness is 309ppm. I currently have 2 guppies, 2 endlers and 3 peppered cories. I have been looking at other fish that could go into this tank. I like the look of cherry barbs and flame tetras. Would a small school of either of these be okay in this sized tank, water hardness and with the existing fish.
Thank you

Last edited:
Your water hardness is too hard for flames so the cherrys would be a better fit out the 2.

Ive got a group of 10 in my 29g with other fish and dont have any bother.

Id aim for a group of 8 in your tank (min 6)

Your water hardness is too hard for flames so the cherrys would be a better fit out the 2.

Ive got a group of 10 in my 29g with other fish and dont have any bother.

Id aim for a group of 8 in your tank (min 6)
Oh awesome because cherry barbs are the ones I really wanna get. Is my tank big enough for them as I’ve seen some places say they need a minimum of 20g but I wasn’t sure

The dimensions in post #1 calculate out as a 71 liter or 19 US gallon tank, so for all intent, it is a 20g (the US gallon is used in the hobby, the Imperial gallon (different sizes) so far as I have ever seen is not). And, there is a good calculator under the "Useful Links" link on the right side of this page on TFF.

But just so you know, it is usually the length and width rather than the volume that is more important, as this affects the fish's swimming area, perhaps territory, etc. It also is the surface area of the water which is important for surface disturbance and a good exchange of Oxygen and CO2.

Oh awesome because cherry barbs are the ones I really wanna get. Is my tank big enough for them as I’ve seen some places say they need a minimum of 20g but I wasn’t sure
Yes, Seriously fish which is probably the most accurate site for specie information as a foot print of 60 x 30 as minimum tank size for cherry barbs so a small group should be fine. Just make sure you get aleast 6 ;)

The dimensions in post #1 calculate out as a 71 liter or 19 US gallon tank, so for all intent, it is a 20g (the US gallon is used in the hobby, the Imperial gallon (different sizes) so far as I have ever seen is not). And, there is a good calculator under the "Useful Links" link on the right side of this page on TFF.

But just so you know, it is usually the length and width rather than the volume that is more important, as this affects the fish's swimming area, perhaps territory, etc. It also is the surface area of the water which is important for surface disturbance and a good exchange of Oxygen and CO2.
Oh that’s weird. Because on the back of my the tank it says 64 litre and those dimensions. I use litres as I from the U.K. and I never know if I should use US gallons or imperial when talking about fish.
Thank you for the help

Yes, Seriously fish which is probably the most accurate site for specie information as a foot print of 60 x 30 as minimum tank size for cherry barbs so a small group should be fine. Just make sure you get aleast 6 ;)
Okay great! Thank you so much

Most reactions

Back