Chemical Filtration

Jerry Sem

Reaction score
Sorry for al the newbe questions. I've been out of this hobby too long, a lot has changed.
This is what I've read : "not to use Charcoal after 3 months, on a new tank. It's not need, except io remove meds in the water." In my AquaClear 110, I use a sponge, floss and the chips for mechanical and bio flitration and Acfivated Charcoal. Do I need Activated Charcoal all the time.

Do I need Activated Charcoal all the time.

No, it's not needed. Like you say, it can help remove medications (along with a large water change) but that is all.

Don't replace the sponge media. Just rinse it in old tank water and put it back in. It will host beneficial bacteria and you need these to process the ammonia and nitrite.

In the old days, conventional wisdom was against water changes in the hopeless quest for the balanced tank. Tanks smelled really bad, and charcoal in filters was a response to that smell. People lost sight of how it started, but now expect charcoal/carbon even though now, the way we (should) keep fish with regular partial water changes has made it unnecessary.

Charcoal has been used for decades to purify water. It is still effective but not really necessary in the aquarium. As a matter of fact if you have plants it may remove some of the nutrients the plants need for good growth.
So you really don't need charcoal in modern aquariums. :)

My tank came with built in sponge filtration that also has a center, after the sponges, for ceramics and charcoal. I leave out the charcoal and double up on the ceramics to give more surface for good bacteria.

No, you don't need the charcoal.

I agree with them all. You don't really need charcoal unless you are trying to remove tannins or medicine from the tank. I used it for about two months when I added a new piece of driftwood then removed it. And charcoal needs to be replaced every month or so

Most reactions

Back