Cheaper alternative to Indian almond leaves?

You must collect dead dry leaves, having fallen on the ground after dying on the tree. This is best done in the Autumn; deciduous trees that go into a winter hibernation in temperate zones shut down their sap flow to leaves in the autumn, the leaves die and become brown and fall to the ground. There will be no sap in these dead leaves. Provided the area is free of toxins (pesticides, fertilizers, oil, etc) you can collect them. Do not boil them, that removes all the benefits. Do not collect any with bird droppings, these can introduce disease. Some people rinse them off, then lay them out to dry, I usually just lay them out after collecting them from my rear garden because I know there are no toxins there. I put them in a plastic bag and use as I need them.

One reason I say not to boil them is with dried leaves as they decompose they produce a lot of infusoria, and this is the first food of all fish fry. So if you have fry, they will feed off this and develop faster than without dried leaves.

Most hardwood trees should be safe; oak, maple, beech are frequently named. Avoid any evergreen tree/bush leaves, and avoid all conifers (thinking of wood here, they have needles not leaves as such).

You must collect dead dry leaves, having fallen on the ground after dying on the tree. This is best done in the Autumn; deciduous trees that go into a winter hibernation in temperate zones shut down their sap flow to leaves in the autumn, the leaves die and become brown and fall to the ground. There will be no sap in these dead leaves. Provided the area is free of toxins (pesticides, fertilizers, oil, etc) you can collect them. Do not boil them, that removes all the benefits. Do not collect any with bird droppings, these can introduce disease. Some people rinse them off, then lay them out to dry, I usually just lay them out after collecting them from my rear garden because I know there are no toxins there. I put them in a plastic bag and use as I need them.

One reason I say not to boil them is with dried leaves as they decompose they produce a lot of infusoria, and this is the first food of all fish fry. So if you have fry, they will feed off this and develop faster than without dried leaves.

Most hardwood trees should be safe; oak, maple, beech are frequently named. Avoid any evergreen tree/bush leaves, and avoid all conifers (thinking of wood here, they have needles not leaves as such).
Ok thanks. There should be plenty of dead leaves on the ground right now. How can I make sure they don’t have any bad things on them?

Ok thanks. There should be plenty of dead leaves on the ground right now. How can I make sure they don’t have any bad things on them?

I would rinse them off under the tap. Avoid any with bird droppings, or anything you may not recognize.

I would rinse them off under the tap. Avoid any with bird droppings, or anything you may not recognize.
Would something like this work?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 91

Most reactions

Back