Cheaper alternative to Indian almond leaves?

wtusa17

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I’m currently trying to breed my apistogramma cacatuoides double red in a 20 tall community tank. I just got some Indian almond leaves at $10 for 10. Any cheaper alternative? I’m currently trying to get some tannins in the water for my apistos to be comfortable and hopefully breed.

You can use collected oak leaves outside, but make sure it's not injected or contaminated with pesticides.
Great! I live in the south and have an oak tree in my backyard. I can use those? Do I have to boil them or do anything else?

Rooibos (red bush sometimes spelled red busch) leaves. You will find them in the herbal tea section of a supermarket. Buy the bags and you can just throw them in the tank or filter. You can also boil them and pour in the resultant water when its cooled.

It contains nothing but dried leaves and won't change the water chemistry at all - double check the label to make sure its not mixed with anything else. If there is an organic option save your money - the plant is so sensitive it can only be grown organically, you're only paying for the certification.

Oak leaves, yes, dried and rinsed and from a pesticide free area. I collect them in the autumn. Also alder cones for tannins as the oak leaves don't seem to colour the water. If you just want the colour and not botanicals you can buy rooibos tea.

Oak leaves, yes, dried and rinsed and from a pesticide free area. I collect them in the autumn. Also alder cones for tannins as the oak leaves don't seem to colour the water. If you just want the colour and not botanicals you can buy rooibos tea.
I would like some leaf litter for my apistogramma

I guess you will have to wait for autumn now. Collect and wash a good number and freeze them. Then you can take out as many as you need every few weeks and drop them in.
Edit: Sorry that should read store in a cool dry place.

Last edited:
Because that's when the leaves will die. You want to collect dead leaves rather than leaves that are green. Green color leaves could potentially leach any toxins into the water.

Because that's when the leaves will die. You want to collect dead leaves rather than leaves that are green. Green color leaves could potentially leach any toxins into the water.
But if I pick them they would die no? The leaves barely drop in fall.

Most reactions

Back