Cheap Substrate For A Four Footer

LastBoy5cout

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Am looking at Ginge's tank on wednesday and if he offers me tea and biscuits we may well have a deal, My question is I want to have a deep substrate and have it medium to heavy planted but looking at alot of ADA stuff and similar products its gonna cost me a small fortune to get a deep covering on a four footer.

Any ideas on a cheap but half decent substrate?

yeah, on my 4ft tank it cost near on £300 for ada stuff aqua soil,power soil etc. but well worth the investment imo.awsome stuff.

ahhh go on....ada all the way. all you need is a gentle shove ;)

Am looking at Ginge's tank on wednesday and if he offers me tea and biscuits we may well have a deal, My question is I want to have a deep substrate and have it medium to heavy planted but looking at alot of ADA stuff and similar products its gonna cost me a small fortune to get a deep covering on a four footer.

Any ideas on a cheap but half decent substrate?

Hi , I set up my 85gal tank 3weeks ago , i used jbl aquabasis plus as a substrate, it is reasonably priced at approx £13.99 for 5L bag i used 2 bags (depth 2cms)in 48x20x24 ins tank . You have to cover with gravel, i used black roman gravel, it still worked out a lot cheaper than many others. So far i am pleased with results , plants are growing well. I had a mild cloudiness of the water the day after setting up tank, dont know if substrate was the cause. It wasn't a problem, tank was clear within 48hrs and has stayed clear since. Dont know if this helps, maybe someone else has used it, for longer and can give opinion on it?
Jackie

the tetra substrate is good i think, ive had really good plant growth. Its about £16 for a 5.8kg tub. I used one tub for my 32x18 inch tank. For the subatrat above that i used argos playsand, only £2.50 for a 15kg bag think. Looks really good.

Good luck with whatever you choose

Think I have used the tetra stuff before so will probably use the same stuff again as alot of you seem to recommend it. I didnt go deep enough and I didnt want to make the same mistake this time so as its nice and cheap will probably go with that again with play sand on top!!

Thanks for all the input peeps.

tropica.

think i used 1 big bag about £25 or so. thant was for a 4ft tank. topped it off with 2mm gravel.

Most reactions

Back