Cheap Slate

im not sure where u live but i got mine form sixhill aquatics grimsby that is 31.10 per kilo really good stuff in that shop too

Where I live in Scotland they used to mine slate from a local hill. There is still tons of the stuff lying around in heaps, all sorts of shapes and sizes from thin roof slate size to great thick chunks of the stuff, all free to carry away. Bit of a walk to get to it but a strong bag and the bonus of it being free!!!

Where abouts is that m8 , anywhere near Falkirk ??

I have hundreds lying behind my house from a roofing job which never quite got fininshed. Yeah dad that one was broken, completele useless now, honest,lol

I went to wyevale garden centre near Newbury which is virtually next door to maidenhead aquatics and they sell various help yourself pieces for £3 the biggest one in the bin was approx 2ft X 1ft by5". It was also very heavy. Try your local garden centre. Slate is sold as edging so there isn't a fsh shop mark up

Check out a landscaping outfit, they sell it by the ton. I got around 100 pounds of various rocks several years ago for $10. I still have plenty left.

Well im living in Uk, Stoke-On-trent, and with only being 16 and mum n dad not driving its sort of hard to get from place to place but erm might try B&Q, and maybe some other gardening places.

Our local B&Q do bags of slate "chippings" which can be stuck together with a hot-glue gun, superglue... or if you believe the scare mongers on BBS's "aquarium silicon" (which is WELL over priced and no more safe than the other glues I mention !)

I have used this to make lots of caves and backgrounds. Just make sure you scrub the bits under a running tap to get all the dust off, then dry and glue !

how about your your local lfs. i live in leicester and poppod into a "PET" shop for my dog food, noticing he had a few tanks at the back, i thought id have a look. he had small bags of stones about 3-5 cm for between 30p and £1.50. bags of slate bits at roughly the same price. some larger bits at £1-3.

Most reactions

Back