Cheap or alternative Algae Scrapers?

SushiRollsAquabuds

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Ever since there was a new wood piece in my tank, there has been a big increase in algae / biofilm. There is some sort of biofilm in my glass causing it to look blurry and I have been thinking of removing it.

Does anyone know any cheap Alger Scrapers or have used techniques using in-home supplies ?

I have used this for a bit
Capture.JPG

It's great at removing green spot and diatom algae. A toothbrush is another option as well.

One sided painter's razor blades are all I use. If padlike things pick up a grain of sand, there goes your unscratched glass.

For algae on the glass I just use a Magic Eraser. Works perfect. I have one that I keep with my fish tank stuff, I wouldn’t use one that’s been used on other stuff.

I second the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It does a fantastic job removing algae, and being white makes it easy to see where you might have missed a spot. They are easy to clean, and are reusable.

The problem with pads is if there is a single grain of sand that get stuck on it.

It damages the glass permanently. I always used the razor blades and I have a tank that is in nearly pristine conditions from the 80's. I had other thank that I used Pads and the glass became cloudy with time.

I use both a pad and scraper but never had the issue of scratching glass with a pad. The scraper is probably the better option tbh.

I use an old soft-bristled toothbrush. It's a bit more work than a magic eraser might be (those work really well too), but it's what I had on hand and I don't worry about it scratching the glass at all. One plus side to the toothbrush being smaller than a pad though is that it can reach around hardscape and into corners better without my hand knocking everything about

Most reactions

Back