Charcoal And Plants

rockin302

Reaction score
I heard before that using charcoal (like the activated charcoal for aquaclear filters) removes nutrients in the water that the plants need and is thus not recommended. I know that charcoal is good for removing discoloration in the tank and helps clear things up but if it's hurting the plants I'd rather not use it.

Can anyone tell me if this is true or not?

Thanks!

You heard right, carbon removes many of the nutrients from the water that the plants need to grow and so the they wont grow as well and will become worn and tatty as they wont be able to repair their leaves.

Having carbon on a newly setup tanks for the first few weeks would be OK, but I would remove it once the tank it cycled as it shouldn't be necessary after that, other than to remove medications, etc.

Sam

EDIT - PS I've yet to find carbon having any noticeable affect on the tannin levels in my tanks, water charges are the best thing for getting rid of this.

Generally, carbon in a planted tank is not good as it can remove some much needed plant growth nutrients.

However, carbon filters get blocked (or full) very quickly and then really have no effect what so ever, which is why I don't think they tend to work well on getting rid of tannins... ....they just get blocked too quickly.

Carbon (if needed) should be replace every couple of weeks in most cases, for the above reasons!

CW

Generally, carbon in a planted tank is not good as it can remove some much needed plant growth nutrients.

However, carbon filters get blocked (or full) mery quickly and then really have no effect what so ever, which is why I don't think they tend to work well on getting rid of tannins... ....they just get blocked too quickly.

Carbon (if needed) should be replace every couple of weeks in most cases, for the above reasons!

CW

I wouldn't say this is true.

I have active carbon sitting in my filter that has been there for over a year and it is working great my water is crystal clear and the plants are gorwing really well.
But i do use Ferts for the plants and CO2.
the thing you should lookout for is adding medicen as the coal will nutralise it quickly.

Humm not sure you're quite right either McMurray, carbon is well know to remove nutrient from the water, the obvious one being iron.

Can I ask how often you dose the ferts and what plants you have. I myself used to have carbon in my filters replaced every 2weeks as instrurcted and my plants grow fine, but that I suspect is more due to the fact that the plants were hardy and could tolerate the low nutrient conditions.

Sam

Hi McMurray,

5 liters of active carbon would be filled within a two month period at best!

By the way this isn't my opinion it's fact..... .....I am a research biochemist by trade! Carbon filters well because it is acts like a 'molecular seive' and traps ions elements ect... ...however, when the seives (holes) become blocked it's filtering effect is lost!

They block very quickly, which is exactly why carbon is such a rapid filter. You can renovate activated carbon to a certain extent by heating it!

CW

Humm not sure you're quite right either McMurray, carbon is well know to remove nutrient from the water, the obvious one being iron.

Can I ask how often you dose the ferts and what plants you have. I myself used to have carbon in my filters replaced every 2weeks as instrurcted and my plants grow fine, but that I suspect is more due to the fact that the plants were hardy and could tolerate the low nutrient conditions.

Sam

Every two days i place in ferts which is 45ml. i cant remember the name of the ferts at the moment. im in work... (bad man)

Oh i have lots of plants. in the two aquariums let me see.

This is the list of the plants in the two aquariums.

crinum natans
Hydrocotyle - her??
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Echinodorus Rubin
Ludwigia repens Rubin
Echinodorus red dawn
Echinodorus 'Red Special'
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Limnophila sessiliflora
Echinodorus_parviflorus
Echinodorus_uruguayensis
Cenatopterus Connuta
Ludwigia Mullertii
cryptocoryne lucens
Vallisneria Americana
Altternanthera Rosaefolia
Cardamine lyrata
Echinodorus bleheri
Bacopa_Ausralis
Echinodorus martii

Hi McMurray,

5 liters of active carbon would be filled within a two month period at best!

By the way this isn't my opinion it's fact..... .....I am a research biochemist by trade! Carbon filters well because it is acts like a 'molecular seive' and traps ions elements ect... ...however, when the seives (holes) become blocked it's filtering effect is lost!

They block very quickly, which is exactly why carbon is such a rapid filter. You can renovate activated carbon to a certain extent by heating it!

CW

ok i see what you mean It was recomended by my LFS to boil the active carbon every 4 months. which i have done but the carbon has been in the tank for 1.5 years with a boil every 4 months.

I have also boild the carbon when there has been a sickness in the tank. tank has been running sweet over this whole time except for the sickness.

Exactly right, the boiling regenerates the carbon to a certian extent... ....altough it will be need to be replaced eventually!

CW

Exactly right, the boiling regenerates the carbon to a certian extent... ....altough it will be need to be replaced eventually!

CW

yea i have my next lot ready when my 1200ltr tank is ready as im moving everything over to the large bio Filter and all three aquariums will be filtered from one location

OK, so the best way to remove the tint/discoloration is to perform water changes. Thanks for the great info people!

OK, so the best way to remove the tint/discoloration is to perform water changes.

You got it in one ;) it can take ages, Ive had my tank tannin tastic for over 6months now but its finally getting better, so just stick with it :)

i always thought you had to heat carbon to huge temps. to 'regenerate' it.

my bogwood never leached tannins :) i washed it then boiled it in 5 changes of water than left to sit for 5 days changing the water each day and giving it one final wash before it going in the tank.

:good:

my bogwood never leached tannins :) i washed it then boiled it in 5 changes of water than left to sit for 5 days changing the water each day and giving it one final wash before it going in the tank.

:good:

That might be the old carbon but the carbon i have is a newer type.. this is what the book says and this carbon which is not like normal carbon comes in pelets.

Carbon definitely binds chemicals in its extremely porous surface, and I have heard it removes iron, but I believe iron is actually one of the few things it doesn't bind.

In medicine, activated carbon is used in ingestions of poison as it does a good job of binding many toxins. Some of the common toxins it doesn't bind well, and thus is not used for, are alcohols, acids, strong bases, lithium and iron. I would be more worried about it using up your macros and maybe some of your other micros. Not iron. This is to the best of my knowledge.

QUOTE(jayjay @ Jun 27 2006, 09:24 PM)

my bogwood never leached tannins i washed it then boiled it in 5 changes of water than left to sit for 5 days changing the water each day and giving it one final wash before it going in the tank.

That might be the old carbon but the carbon i have is a newer type.. this is what the book says and this carbon which is not like normal carbon comes in pelets.

To fully regenerate carbon you do have to heat it to really high temps (like in a charcoal fire). Boiling it will remove some of the more weakly bound chemical thus partially recharging it. Still it will eventually have to be replaced.

This will be true of any activated carbon you buy as it is a matter of the chemical properties of elemental carbon. The newer fancier activated carbons are supposed to be processed in a way that frees up more potential binding sites by heating it to a higher temp during manufacture.

Carl

Most reactions

Back