Changing to sand

Joeyt66

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Is there any fish that cant have a sand substrate? Does the sand not get in the filters(i have aquaclears)? Just wondering as i am thinking of switching. Anything else i should know?

you may wish to read the pinned topic on sand.
also you may want to use the search facility of this site and type in sand
you will find 100's of posts about the subject.

I have aquaclears on my sand tanks and they don't ever get clogged.

Make sure to wash the sand really well even if it says "prewashed" on the bag. The two methods I prefer are with a pillowcase and in sections. With a pillowcase, fill it with your sand and run a hose or faucet inside until the water coming out the other end runs clear, but make sure you stir it throughout the rinsing. The other way is just to wash small amounts of snad at a time in a bucket and stir it till the overflow is clear. I prefer that way myself, I think it goes faster, but others swear by other methods :thumbs:

Catfish and loaches really love sand, and most fishkeepers feel it is easier to clean as the debris settles on top of the sand.

would you use a regular gravel vacume if you had sand?

say i have a cycled tank with gravel, how would i switch it to sand?

Are there any negatives with sand. Just so i dont get any surprizes. Also what kind of sand to get, i want to do it cheap but want a nice look. i hear pool filter sand is good. what are some other kinds i can find around here relativly cheap? thanks so far guys

You can still use your gravel vac and just hover it over the surface of the sand and it will clean it up :thumbs:

I think something that is a pro and a con is that the debris sits on top of the sand. So it's really easy to clean, but you'll also see some of it in between water changes -_-

Sand at a fish store will be the most expensive, but there are many alternatives. Pool filter is one, play sand is also a great one and very cheap. It's a good one if you like a lighter look.

I did a search for sand in the picture forum, this link will take you to a huge list of links with tanks with sand :thumbs:

Sand

I bought my sand at my lfs, but that was only because I wanted white sand. Once you go sand, you cant go back.

Hi Joeyt66 :)

I finally started making the big switch to sand, and am absolutely delighted with the results so far. I have changed over 8 tanks in the last 10 days, and only one gave me any trouble clearing up. That one took until the next day to settle completely, while the others cleared within a few hours.

The sand I used was inexpensive play sand which I got at Home Depot for $2.89 per 50 pound sack. Play sand, since it is intended for use by very young children in their sandboxes, is smooth and rounded so it's perfect for use in fish tanks. Even cory cats, with their delicate barbels, will not be harmed by it.

I found it very clean and free from debris, but the finest particles are like silt, and that is what must be rinsed away. I found washing it with warm water, in a dishpan, a few cupfuls at a time, was quite soothing and relaxing and not at all as bad as it sounds. It's worth the time and effort to do a good job at this stage.

Another benefit of sand is that you don't need as much of it as gravel. It should not be more than an inch or so, I have been told.

The beneficial bacteria in your filter should be enough to carry your tank through, unless it is very overstocked, until a colony becomes established in the sand. Just check your chemicals regularly, and do some extra water changes if necessary. :D

if i where to use a gravel vac and vacuum the gravel, and save the water to use after the sand is in, will the bacteria i need be sucked up?

No, but you don't need to get worked up over losing bacteria if you change to sand. Unless you have an undergravel system, the bulk of the bacteria is in your filter, not the substrate :thumbs:

And if you use the bucket method for stirring/rinsing the sand, you end up with lovely smooth hands as well!

My work colleague (same age as me) looks at my hands and says that they are far younger looking than hers. What's the secret? FISHWATER!! :lol:

xrenegadex said:
if i where to use a gravel vac and vacuum the gravel, and save the water to use after the sand is in, will the bacteria i need be sucked up?
Hi xrenegadex :)

There is very little beneficial bacteria free floating in the water, but I find that by saving and adding about a third of the tank water back, it seems to keep the new water from forming bubbles on the glass and other surfaces so you can put your fish back in much sooner. :D

Just a quick point no one has mentioned yet. Everytime you do a water changed with sand, just run a chopstick or something similar through the sand to release any poisonous gases that build up. The sand can become quite compact with the pressure of the water.

I changed to sand a few months ago, and i love it.

Paul

do i turn the filters off when i put the sand in? so they don't get clogged?

Most reactions

Back