Changing Tanks

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Moonkira

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am new on here and would like a bit of advice . I have kept tropical fish for over 30 yrs but only have a small tank these days which is acrylic and its driving me mad trying to clean the algae off so I am considering going back to glass, I would like to know if I bought a new tank and put the water and pump from the old tank would that be ok

You would have to have a heater also for tropical.

As long as you wait for it to get cycled, and test the water for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, and PH and the levels are good and get the fish acclimated they should be fine.

I move my fish between tanks every month for different reasons (i know i shouldn't but sometimes i have to)

By pump do you mean the filter? If you already have a cycled filter then certainly moving that over would be just fine and the substrate would help too if you want to move that.
You don't need to move the water really as it contains virtually no bacteria but you may want to move half of it over just so the fish feel like its a large water change but not a 100% one.

Thank you for your help ,very much appreciate your advice . On subject of  a heater yes!  I know about the heater as like I mentioned have kept tropical for many years but only have a small aqua one 300 these days that fit in an alcove and I hate it  as its so difficult to get the glass (acrylic ) clean  I would appreciate some advice as regards a similar size tank but glass , I have had 2 different types over the years but found that the light connection failed after a while and couldn't buy replacements

Where are you located? I imagine tank suggestions would differ depending on this.

Most reactions

Back