Changing tank over advice

I was just recommending the OP to wait a little, until the filter is able to cycle all the water in the tank. (Depending on how much GPH it has) :)
Water Is treated so really no need unless it just makes you feel better. I personally believe it would cause more stress to the fish to leave them in the bucket longer. JMO :)

Wow thanks guys so many responses!
So the tank will be going in exactly the same place as the old tank is right now. My filter and heater is big enough for my new tank so I will literally be putting the old filter in my new tank. I'll be transferring the gravel (for the good bacteria) plus my ornaments, live plants and air stone.

So to clarify from your comments, I can basically do it as if I was doing a tank clean and water change? As there's no new filter going in the tank.

All I will be adding is a bit more gravel.

I want to make sure things are clear, as from this post I am not certain they are.

First, If you are using the substrate from the present tank, you are basically tearing this tank down and building a new tank. You need to take the fish out of the existing tank and house them in some form of "temporary" tank. A spare 10g or larger is good to have on hand and this can work. Siphon out water from the surface of the existing tank to fill the temporary tank; move the heater and filter over so they remain in the water with the fish. You can move over a piece of the decor so the fish have some shelter, or some floating plants (any plants in the existing tank can be left floating in the temporary). Then net over the fish.

Drain the exising tank, remove the substrate and wash it in buckets. I always do this under the tap. Fill the new tank with the substrate (washed old and washed new), add the hardscape (decor, wood, rock), and when that is arranged thee way you want it add clean water with a dechlorinator. Move over the filter, heater. Plants. Net over the fish. Make sure the temperature in the new tank is the same or very close to the water in the temporary tank.

Water Is treated so really no need unless it just makes you feel better. I personally believe it would cause more stress to the fish to leave them in the bucket longer. JMO :)
Didn’t think of that. I guess it’s just me being super careful? Lol. :good:

I did everything as you stated @Byron
Throughout the day today the tank has gone ever so slightly cloudy. Is this bacterial bloom normal even though I used the same substrate, filter, heater, decor, plants etc?
Water parameters checked and all within normal range.
Temp ok.
Fish are also swimming, happy and seem okay.

Thanks in advance!!

I did everything as you stated @Byron
Throughout the day today the tank has gone ever so slightly cloudy. Is this bacterial bloom normal even though I used the same substrate, filter, heater, decor, plants etc?
Water parameters checked and all within normal range.
Temp ok.
Fish are also swimming, happy and seem okay.

Thanks in advance!!

Yes, a bacterial bloom is normal. This is because you have stirred up organics, and there are usually dissolved organics in fresh tap water, so the bacteria that feed on these multiply rapidly, roughly every 15-20 minutes they can divide through binary division. Leave it and within anywhere from a day to several days it will clear. I just re-set my 20g a couple weeks ago, and it took about a week before it became crystal clear.

Yes, a bacterial bloom is normal. This is because you have stirred up organics, and there are usually dissolved organics in fresh tap water, so the bacteria that feed on these multiply rapidly, roughly every 15-20 minutes they can divide through binary division. Leave it and within anywhere from a day to several days it will clear. I just re-set my 20g a couple weeks ago, and it took about a week before it became crystal clear.
Legend. Thank you!

Most reactions

Back