Changing tank over advice

Katerose91

Reaction score
Hiya.

I have decided to transfer my fish into a bigger tank for their comfort. The difference between the two tanks is 18L.
I want some advice please on how I do this safely and correctly because in my mind I was just going to treat it as I would a clean out - transfer the gravel/air filter/decor/filter and maybe 25% of the water then add extra gravel and fill with new water.

Is this right or wrong?
I need advice and an idiots guide :fun:
Thank you in advance :*

Hiya.

I have decided to transfer my fish into a bigger tank for their comfort. The difference between the two tanks is 18L.
I want some advice please on how I do this safely and correctly because in my mind I was just going to treat it as I would a clean out - transfer the gravel/air filter/decor/filter and maybe 25% of the water then add extra gravel and fill with new water.

Is this right or wrong?
I need advice and an idiots guide :fun:
Thank you in advance :*
Hello,
I recently did this with one of my betta fish as he was fighting the other community fish, i set up the new aquarium like normal then i added a litre of the old aquarium water and some tetra safe start bacteria. Safe start has always worked for me so i would just do it as if you had just bought them from the pet store, dont forget to acclimate though.
I hope this helps. :)

When I did this on a 180l tank I set up the new tank as a brand new tank. I took the opportunity to replace the substrate and plants. Moving ornaments is your choice :). I let the new tank run for a few days to make sure the temp was right, no leaks and plants were growing. Then I caught the fish and moved them into the new home. I immediately moved their existing filter into the new tank so never had to worry about cycling.

There is no benefit in transferring the water. Gravel is entirely up to you - there will be beneficial bacteria in the gravel but the filter should cope.

Do you set up the new tank already?
Or you want to Move The Entire Tank including plant, substrate, fish, and Any Attachments and left the old tank Blank?

I’m pretty sure the OP just wants to move the fish...

If the other tank is cycled and if it’s the same temperature, then you should be able to move them right over. How far apart are the two tanks?

Yeah I agree with PhoenixKingZ. If you want to move the fish. Just do it like the first time you get them in the first place

I just moved several tanks to a fish room. Put some of the tank water in a bucket and place the fish in it. Then move the substrate and decor over quickly and add dechlorinated water to the tank and match the temperature as closely as possible to old water temp. Add your heater. Hook up the old filter and let it run in new tank. Add fish and your done!

But, it all depends on how far apart the tanks are. If they are in different rooms, you don’t want to have your fish in a net, running around trying to get them in water. Water will be on the floor and everyone knows that Water on the floor + running = disaster. :)

Wow thanks guys so many responses!
So the tank will be going in exactly the same place as the old tank is right now. My filter and heater is big enough for my new tank so I will literally be putting the old filter in my new tank. I'll be transferring the gravel (for the good bacteria) plus my ornaments, live plants and air stone.

So to clarify from your comments, I can basically do it as if I was doing a tank clean and water change? As there's no new filter going in the tank.

All I will be adding is a bit more gravel. And yes I figure they will enjoy having more space to themselves! I'm excited to change the tank but I want to do it safely and not lose any of my fish or shrimp so getting some advice as everything on websites is soooo mixed! Use all the same water....use all new water....blah blah blah :fun: and I trust you lot! :wub:

Yes, you can do as you said. I do suggest that you let your old filter run in the new tank for a while. That way, your new tank will get cycled from your old bacteria. :)

Other than that, good luck! :good:

Yes, you can do as you said. I do suggest that you let your old filter run in the new tank for a while. That way, your new tank will get cycled from your old bacteria. :)

Other than that, good luck! :good:
An hour or two? Or longer? X

You don’t have to wait. The bacteria is already in the filter. What you do want to be sure and do is use dechlorinated water after you put your substrate in so the chlorine doesn’t hurt your established bacteria. Then add your decor and fish. If temp is the same as your fish bucket and water is same, you can just net your fish and add back. If not, then pour a few cups of tank water in bucket every 10 minutes a few times and then net fish. :)

I would suggest leaving the lights off for a couple of hours in the new tank to help the fish deal with the stress of moving into a new place. I do that whenever I add new fish to my tanks.

You don’t have to wait. The bacteria is already in the filter. What you do want to be sure and do is use dechlorinated water after you put your substrate in so the chlorine doesn’t hurt your established bacteria. Then add your decor and fish. If temp is the same as your fish bucket and water is same, you can just net your fish and add back. If not, then pour a few cups of tank water in bucket every 10 minutes a few times and then net fish. :)
I was just recommending the OP to wait a little, until the filter is able to cycle all the water in the tank. (Depending on how much GPH it has) :)

I would suggest leaving the lights off for a couple of hours in the new tank to help the fish deal with the stress of moving into a new place. I do that whenever I add new fish to my tanks.
I agree, leaving the light off when you get new fish will help lower the stress.

Most reactions

Back