Changing Ph Of Water

jbatt

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

For the last few years, I have been changing the PH of the tank water to 6.5 using buffer

I tested my tap water which is 7.3.

How do I get off this PH Buffer and raise the pH in the tank water.

Thanks

James

i would think with plenty of water changes, but im no expert.7.3 seems like a fine PH to me, why were you lowering it?
and what fish are in the tank?
shelagh xxx

i would think with plenty of water changes, but im no expert.7.3 seems like a fine PH to me, why were you lowering it?
and what fish are in the tank?
shelagh xxx

Hi

I've been lowering it for a few years now.

A few years back, I had problems with the tap water. The PH level seemed to very so I decided to keep it to one level.

Once I changed the water, PH went from 7.3 to over 8.2 and I lost quite a few fish.

I basically have sererums amongst others from my old setup.

James

so you want to raise the pH now?

if so get some crushed cockle shell and just put it somewhere where water will flow through it

if you want to lower it try bogwood or peat

If your wanting to raise the pH, coral sand.ect will do the trick but slowly. It takes time for it to release its minerals into the water. Putting it into a filter bag and placing that into your filter will do it quicker.. but not instantly.

If you want an instant raise, use bicarbonate of soda (baking soda).. but be careful, add to much and itll shoot up to 8.2, though not past that.

Its alot easier to raise pH/hardness levels than to lower it.

HTH. :good:

The tank is 400l

I want to raise the pH from 6.5 to 7.2

My tap water is 7.2 and everytime I do a water change I put 6.5 buffer in due to a problem years ago.

Ideally I want to raise it up to tap level. Which to me means it has to be done between weekly water changes. So I figure, could I change 10% of water every day for a week and not mix the buffer in, just use normal tap water. Surely that should bring the levels up??

Thanks

James

The water change route should work perfectly for you as any acidic buffer gets gradually changed out allowing the water to tilt back to the tap level.

If the hardness of the water is similar between the tap water and the altered tank water then you could probably get away with larger changes. research indicates that fish are very good at handling pH changes when hardness stays similar. Changing hardness leads to the problems usually blamed on pH.

Most reactions

Back