Changing hang on back filter cartrige

Grizleyguy

Reaction score
Do I need to worry bout ammonia and nitrate spikes after changing filter cartridge. I currently do 20percent water change every 3 wks for a 20 and a 29 gal lightly stocked tanks. These two tanks have been in "service" for 3 months

Attachments

• IMG_20220626_223622464_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220626_223622464_HDR.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20220626_220949389_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220626_220949389_HDR.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 37
You should be ok with bacteria on your decorations/substrate. Monitor ammonia/nitrite with a test kit and do a 50-80% WC if they spike. I would suggest 'supercharging' your filters with reusable media, saves money and helps prevent any spikes in ammonia/nitrite.

Do I need to worry bout ammonia and nitrate spikes after changing filter cartridge. I currently do 20percent water change every 3 wks for a 20 and a 29 gal lightly stocked tanks. These two tanks have been in "service" for 3 months
Yes. If you replace the filter media you remove most of the beneficial filter bacteria and can get ammonia and nitrite readings.

You can re-use most filter pads/ cartridges a few times. Simply squeeze them out in a bucket of aquarium water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the lawn.

You can buy sponges for different brands of filter and use a pair of scissors to cut the sponge to size. Add sponges to the filter and leave them there with the filter pads for at least 1 (preferably 2) months. Then throw the filter pad away.

Sponges get squeezed out in a bucket of tank water and the sponge is re-used. Sponges will last for years and most last over 10 years. This saves you money and you don't have to worry about losing the beneficial filter bacteria.

Thanks for the info I will definitely get sponges after my extra cartridges are used up

Get the sponges before they are used up - you need to run the sponge at the same time as the cartridge for
at least 1 (preferably 2) months

And carrying on using and throwing away the cartridges is not a good idea as Colin explained.

Thanks for the info I will definitely get sponges after my extra cartridges are used up
If you put a pre-filter on your intake tubes and let them run for a few weeks in the tank, you can then change out the internal pads with new reusable foam.
There a a million different varieties, you can likely find one at your LFS/LPS, this link has some videos on the page on how to use.

My setup with Aquaclear 110 HOB
This was for a different brand HOB that I got at LPS, I tied a twist tie at top to hold it on. You want to push the filter down as far as possible to maximize the usable surface area that draws in water.
Please pardon the BGA which I am currently battling, also time for a WC and cleaning. You can see the debris that the pre-filter picks up if you zoom in.

Attachments

• 6E941684-9316-4912-B657-D1704295844A.jpeg
    6E941684-9316-4912-B657-D1704295844A.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 29

Most reactions

Back