Changing gravel

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys, this is kinda a follow up post. I’ve cleaned out my gravel multiple times and have it ready to move into my main aquarium and plan to take out the old gravel. Should I move my fish out whilst doing this. I assumed i should but just checking what people think would be the best place to move them into as well. I have a large bucket so assuming that?

How big is the tank?
In large tanks you can leave the fish in the aquarium and just remove the gravel from one side and then the other side. After that you put the new gravel in the tank.

If it's a small tank, remove the fish and put them in a holding container. Remove the gravel, put the new gravel in the tank and put the fish back in the tank.

Gravel clean the old substrate in the tank the day before you swap the gravel over so it is cleaner and the tank remains cleaner.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter the day after you change the gravel. Wash the filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.

How big is the tank?
In large tanks you can leave the fish in the aquarium and just remove the gravel from one side and then the other side. After that you put the new gravel in the tank.

If it's a small tank, remove the fish and put them in a holding container. Remove the gravel, put the new gravel in the tank and put the fish back in the tank.

Gravel clean the old substrate in the tank the day before you swap the gravel over so it is cleaner and the tank remains cleaner.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

Clean the filter the day after you change the gravel. Wash the filter media/ materials in a bucket of tank water and re-use the media. Tip the bucket of dirty water on the garden/ lawn.
Thanks so much for your response. It’s a fairly new tank just cycled so I was thinking about maybe keeping the half inch of gravel I have currently and just adding my new gravel over it. Do you think that’s a good idea? It’s a 20 gallon so I was thinking of maybe doing the half and half. I feel if I take the gravel out now it will only disrupt the build up of beneficial bacteria or am I wrong?

I was thinking of doing my gravel clean water change today and then adding the gravel straight after?

If you just want to increase the amount of gravel in the tank, then just wash the new gravel and add it to the tank. Do a gravel clean and water change before adding the new gravel to remove any gunk in it.

Hey just an update for those interested increases substrate size and carried out my weekly changes so substrate is now around 2,3 inches deep. I’m so happy with how it looks and want to thank everyone for their help! Fish are understandably spooked st the minute so was wondering whether I should tommorow hold back on feeding in case theirs higher than usual wastage or feed them their favourite brine shrimp? :) thanks so much again!

Most reactions

Back