Changing Canister Filter Media

rebeledd

Reaction score
Hi all! I have a Fluval 207 canister filter, and the manual recommends replacing media on a monthly basis (but not at once). Does anyone have any recommendations in terms of how often this should be done? When I used to have an in tank filter, I rarely changed the sponges etc... Thanks!

Attachments

• 70096334-9AC6-4886-B7D1-4F996545210B.jpeg
    70096334-9AC6-4886-B7D1-4F996545210B.jpeg
    75.5 KB · Views: 50
To be honest, I ignore the recommendation from the manufacturer, just a money making thing for them.

I never replace the media on my filters unless the sponge media is literally falling apart, the only thing I DO change on a regular basis is the filter floss, bb do not live in this and is just used for eliminating the tiny particles of debris from entering the tank water.

Probably pretty much the same as you did on your internal filter.

Leave well alone, routine maintenance rinse some sponge media in old tank water, replace the filter floss, job done!

Replace when it disintegrates (but not all at once).
You only need sponge and the biomax. Anything that says replace you don't need. Your choice if you use it initially but don't keep it longer than a month as once it is saturated it no longer works (and may work negatively).
Hint: I threw out my 406 after 15 years. It still had the original biomax and iirc I replaced the sponges once in its lifetime.

Fluval just wants to sell you more media. Sponges can be just rinsed in tank water and reused. They should last for many years. .. Same goes for ceramics. If you use filter floss, then you could replace that when cleaning the other media or when it gets gunked up. You can buy floss in huge rolls for maybe $10 from Big Al's pet supply and then cut it to proper size for your filter..

Most reactions

Back