Change of plans, need help stocking

Jacob the tank keeper

Fish Fanatic
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
So I can't get a 4ft for space reasons, best I can do is a 55 gal 36 x 20 x 18.

I have 2 male adult angels that are besties, always together. The female I introduced to them got killed... I can get more adult angels as I know breeders.
I got 7 Congos I'm also planning on adding, I can get more of these too.
For rainbows, as much as I want them, if It's a bit of a strech I can back out. But I have 2 Dwarf Neons and 4 Parkingsons. For the Dwarf I can't really add any, all of them are gone.

What should I do? Also what other fish can I add in? And I really need the angels in this tank, was given to me by a friend and don't want those angels to suffer at the petshop's display aquarium any longer. Thanks!

You could try a larger type of Cory catfish? Try putting the other fish in before the the angelfish establish their own territory and become aggressive. Or put the angelfish in a breeder net or separated from the other fish through a divider until the other fish settle in - 1-2 days. Unless your adding them all at the same time.

You could try a larger type of Cory catfish? Try putting the other fish in before the the angelfish establish their own territory and become aggressive. Or put the angelfish in a breeder net or separated from the other fish through a divider until the other fish settle in - 1-2 days. Unless your adding them all at the same time.
Sure, I can do that. I don't have the tank right now too

Cory cats would be nice

I think this came up in another thread...but doesn't matter. I would not get more angels, there is not sufficient space and it is only asking for trouble. The death of the third is proof enough. If you have two and they get along, consider yourself fortunate and don't tempt fate.

A few more Congo Tetras would be fine, and advisable. Increasing the rainbows would be advisable. What are your water parameters (GH and pH here)?

If you have sand, cories are an option if the water is not very hard. The softer the better. A group of 12-15 in this sized tank, same species of mix, but if mixed try to get a few of each species, it works out better long-term.

I think this came up in another thread...but doesn't matter.
I didn't want to revive it, the tank I was asking about was 45 gals, this time I got it to 55 gals if that makes a difference...

I'm not exactly sure about the water, but our water here is pretty neutral. I can also mix in some rainwater or RO if needed.

What other fish can I add? Or is this enough stock?

I didn't want to revive it, the tank I was asking about was 45 gals, this time I got it to 55 gals if that makes a difference...

I'm not exactly sure about the water, but our water here is pretty neutral. I can also mix in some rainwater or RO if needed.

What other fish can I add? Or is this enough stock?

You need to pin down the actual number for GH. Check the website of your water authority, it may be ther in the water data sections. You want the number and their unit of measurement (there are several, different obviously).

Mixing pure water (RO, rainwater) can benefit sometimes, but without the actual numbers this is hit and miss, and may not bee necessary. It also means more work, as every water change will need the water prepared outside the tank to the same GH and pH, and as one who has done this I would rather not have to.

A for species and numbers, my previous advice holds regardless of tank size between a 45g and 55g, both are 4-feet which is one important factor more than the volume itself.

So I can't find it anywhere, so I'll have to test it myself... But I don't have a test kit on hand so I might buy myself one

So I can't find it anywhere, so I'll have to test it myself... But I don't have a test kit on hand so I might buy myself one

You will likely only use it once, so I would suggest taking a sample of your tap water to a fish store and see if they will test it. Just make sure you write down the number, and the unit they measure it with. Telling you "moderate" or "soft" tells us nothing without the actual number. It will likely be either in degrees (x dH) or ppm (x ppm), the latter is the same as mg/l.

You will likely only use it once, so I would suggest taking a sample of your tap water to a fish store and see if they will test it. Just make sure you write down the number, and the unit they measure it with. Telling you "moderate" or "soft" tells us nothing without the actual number. It will likely be either in degrees (x dH) or ppm (x ppm), the latter is the same as mg/l.
Oh alright, but I am pretty sure no one here offers that service... We don't really test waters here, unless it's for drinking water maybe we can test for that, but I'm not really sure what they include in those and they're pretty expensive... (Also we own a petshop, we don't do those services)

Most reactions

Back