Chance to open up LFS

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I’m not sure if the scientific name and I haven’t seen one for sale recently but I happened across a “rubber lipped” pleco years ago thing was a work horse never got much past 4 maybe 4.5 inches. With supplemental wafers the thing shimmered gold gorgeous fish. Think they would be so much more practical for the average hobbyist with tanks size to account for.

I’m not sure if the scientific name and I haven’t seen one for sale recently but I happened across a “rubber lipped” pleco years ago thing was a work horse never got much past 4 maybe 4.5 inches. With supplemental wafers the thing shimmered gold gorgeous fish. Think they would be so much more practical for the average hobbyist with tanks size to account for.
Ive had a rubber lip pleco, some PETSmarts still sell them. Theyre alot like bristlenose as they dont get that big. Only 5 6 inches Personally im a bigger fan of the smaller plecos like bristlnose rubber lips and clown loaches that only get like 3 inches because most people that purchase plecos dont have huge tanks for when they get 24 inches long. For those with large tanks i can see the appeal with larger plecos as they are a ton of different ones and are beautiful. I remember when PETSmart started selling golden nuggett plecs they had them priced at like 40.00$ theyre not as much now but hey if you can breed and sell them to good homes more power to you

The only suckermouth catfish that sell regularly, are the bristlenose catfish and its colour varieties. Most other suckermouth catfish aren't big sellers due to their high prices.

If you are breeding fish at home, then keep bristlenose, some livebearers, a few of the more colourful rainbowfish, Apistogramma cacatuoides, and a few of the less common suckermouth catfish like Farlowella, Loricaria, Peckoltia sp. Corydoras also work. The less common fish don't breed as often and can usually be sold readily if you have good prices. The other fish are your bread an butter and you breed as many of them as possible.

Years ago I used to supply a number of pet shops in Perth with rainbowfish. I sold mine for $2.00ea, which was about 1/4 the price of what the eastern states wholesalers were selling the same fish for. I did it to drop the price of them because they used to sell for $20+ ea and very few people bought them. After I dropped the price and made them affordable to the average person, the shops started selling heaps. I wasn't in it for the money but I covered costs and made a few dollars even selling them for $2 ea.

Basically if you can supply unusual, interesting and colourful fish for a reasonable price, you can sell a lot more of them.

Basically if you can supply unusual, interesting and colourful fish for a reasonable price, you can sell a lot more of them.
[/QUOTE]

That helps press more diversity into the market as well. I’m in the US and in my state box stores or LFS they have guppy’s, cichlids, and a couple types of tetra. It seems ridiculous butt I looked in on two box stores and the two LFS near me for almost three months. In the end I was way to happy to find Endler guppy’s and those were at a box store

Most reactions

Back