Celery Leaves, My Fish Went Crazy!

elspudo247

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anyone else has tried feeding their fish the leaves off celery???

I have a large community tank - 6 danios
10 phantom tetras
3 platys
6 corys
5 silver dollars
1 common plec
1 loach

I feed them a variety of flakes, tablets, live food, frozen food and lots of veg but i've never fed them celery leaves before. Last night i put 3 like sprigs of leaves in and they all went crazy for it! The silver dollars usually hide for a while after ive been messing in the tank but they where straight there, ripping the leaves apart! Bruce, my plec dived on one immediately. my loach was blindly banging round the tank searching frantically for them, bless.
Anyway, i was just seeing if anyone else had the same reaction and if you aint tried it, try it now. hopefully your fish will go into a feeding frenzy just like mine!

has anyone got any other good unusual foods i could try??? I love giving my guys new things...

Hi, just wondering if anyone else has tried feeding their fish the leaves off celery???

I have a large community tank - 6 danios
10 phantom tetras
3 platys
6 corys
5 silver dollars
1 common plec
1 loach

I feed them a variety of flakes, tablets, live food, frozen food and lots of veg but i've never fed them celery leaves before. Last night i put 3 like sprigs of leaves in and they all went crazy for it! The silver dollars usually hide for a while after ive been messing in the tank but they where straight there, ripping the leaves apart! Bruce, my plec dived on one immediately. my loach was blindly banging round the tank searching frantically for them, bless.
Anyway, i was just seeing if anyone else had the same reaction and if you aint tried it, try it now. hopefully your fish will go into a feeding frenzy just like mine!

has anyone got any other good unusual foods i could try??? I love giving my guys new things...
lol never thought of that, good idea. i find my fish like a tomato every now and then. they dont touch it for about 12 hours. after that it vanishes quick time, even the skin! i do clean the seeds out though. might try to dry them out, well dollars are supposed to eat seeds, so i guess its worth a try.

Ive never tried them with tomato - dont know why but i tend to stick to green stuff like peas, cucumber, lettuce, cabbage...

tomatos next on the menu then!

my fish have been looking really bored lately which is why ive been trying different foods, thought it might stimulate them a little bit. ive been cutting their cucumber into twirly ribbons and stuff for abit of different texture...is that sad??? ive moved there tank round too and added more plants (fake because of my dollars) but they still look bored, any ideas how i can entertain my dollars?? they just seem to want to watch me all the time instead of being fishes and doing fishy things

I've always found that not a single one of my fish like any sort of veg. I've tried cucumber , courgette ( zucchini) and a bit of tomato. All ignored.

Could it be because my tank is planted? And they think the veg is just another plant?

I've always found that not a single one of my fish like any sort of veg. I've tried cucumber , courgette ( zucchini) and a bit of tomato. All ignored.

Could it be because my tank is planted? And they think the veg is just another plant?

I have the same problem. I keep trying different veg but it never gets touched (except by the apple snails). I only leave it in there for about an hour. Perhaps I'm not giving it long enough?

Hmm..I left mine in for a few hours but they didn't give a fig. The danios were very interested in the tomato for a few minutes, probably because it was something new and brightly coloured ( they get excited and curious of anything like that ), and I suspect they thought it was another fish or something . The gourami gave a couple of halfhearted nibbles, as did the kribs, and the loach and cories weren't interested at all, after that they left it alone. Same with cucumber and parboiled courgette.

I've given up trying veg. I just prefer to drop a couple of bagsworth of Daphnia in and watch all hell break loose! :hyper:

If you weigh them down with the stuff that you weigh plants down with you'l find fish such as kribs, corys, plecs etc. will eat them and anything the fish don't eat any shrimp you have should finish off quickly.

I feed my fish a lot of fruit and veg but nothing goes down quite as well as banana! It's completely gone within 2 hours!

Steve, try screwcumber.co.uk! Amazing things just perfect for veggies :D

Cool,

Ok thanks! but I am still a newbie and I am not sure about feeding......

I have danios, neon blue and thick lipped guaramis, cories and gobies. Will any of these enjoy veggies?

If so I'll look out for a screwcumber

Ta

Steve

My fish love nibbling at steamed courgette.

At first my angelfish tears it about, my cherry barbs then move in and a while later the corys clean up the rest.

It's like vegetable fish spaghetti!

Most reactions

Back