caulerpa in the sump?

pomme

Reaction score
caulerpa in the sump?

is this stuff good, as i here it keeps the o2 levels at a constant level throught day and night,
and that it also gives a food source for the fish and corals?

als do you have to have a light over it, does it need to be on for 24 hourse a day?

and also what else do you need for it to grow?

please tell me aslo what you guys think of it,

and would it work on my 100 gal reef tank with a sump, i would put it in the sump, where i have got a compartment free thats about 15 cm by 30cm by 30cm, but could make it twice that size if need be?

thanx
andrew

and can it be used in conjuction with a skimmer?

and is the best substrate for it miracle mud?

and where can you buy caulerpa?

I have just got my refugium which wuill have algae in it.

if you have room in your sump, then you could put it in there but it can get sucked into pumps etc. I have a 125gallon reef with sump. I am going to plumb the refugium of the main system seperate. The bet way of lighting it would be to reverse light it. i.e. you will have the light in the sump comeing on when the lights in the main tank go off. this will balance the oxygen levels like you say but the main reason is to balance the PH. when the lights in the main tank are on. the corals photosynthesis and take in carbon dioxide CO2 and give off oxygen O2. with the CO2 being taken out of the water, the PH rises. (CO2 is an acidic gas). when the lights in the main tank go off, then the corals respire and give of CO2. there will then be a build up of CO2 at night. which causes the PH to drop off at night. it will then begin to rise when the main lights come on again. these fluctuations in PH can stress fish and corals. by reverse lighting a refugium with algae, the algae will photosynthesis when the corals respire. this will balance the O2 and CO2 levels in the tank. causing the PH to stabilize. NOw the problem with reverse lighting is that the algae can go into sexual reproduction. By lighting it 24-7, this cuts out the dark period that the algae needs to go into sexual reproduction. so it is up to you if you reverse light it or light it 24-7, you know the risks.

as for a substrate, you don't need miracle mud. you only need a nutrient rich substrate such as a tub of biosediment mixed with some sand. of you could ask for some of the rubble/sediment from your LFS's live rock tank. the only time you would need mirical mud is if you were going in to total ecosystem method filtration. if you send a jiffy bag to someone who hase some, then i'm sure they would give you some. youll soon be over run with the stuff. the other benifit of calourpa is that it is a form of nutrient export.

and would it work on my 100 gal reef tank with a sump, i would put it in the sump, where i have got a compartment free thats about 15 cm by 30cm by 30cm, but could make it twice that size if need be?

Yes, it can be compartmentalized in the sump w/ LR as a refugium. I have seen it done.

please tell me aslo what you guys think of it,

I enjoy it. Along w/ LR it is a valuable water cleaner. It's attractive as well coming in many variations and colors. It can get out of hand though, just a warning. Caulerpa grows like nobody's business in a healthy tank and needs to be culled back every so often. When it needs thinning, pinch it don't cut.

and also what else do you need for it to grow?

Nothing really. I wedge it between pieces of LR. It roots to the rock and grows.

als do you have to have a light over it, does it need to be on for 24 hourse a day?

Yes to the light and no for the 24 hours a day. Some people do as ste2k3 said to keep it from going sexual, some people don't. I personally don't light 24 hours a day. I'm about 12 on and 12 off. Healthier to mimic real life conditions IMO but it's all just personal preference really.

and where can you buy caulerpa?

LFS. Just ask them if they have caulerpa, most do. You can order it online too. If you want an abundance of pods, caulerpa is great. They breed in it. Especially the strap variety I have noticed in my tank.

and can it be used in conjuction with a skimmer?

Not quite sure what you mean by this. If you mean will the skimmer harm the caulerpa, no. If you mean can you keep it in a skimmer compartment, don't know.

that it also gives a food source for the fish

Yes, some tangs will eat it and psycho Coral Beauties like mine will too (still irked over that one).

cool tnx for the veryinformative replys, i hareally helped, i am going to goasdget me some when i have got my sump sorted outfor it.

also do you ave toput it in at any stage whilst the tank is cycling?

what sort of ight do you keep over it a tropical or marine actinic?

you can put it in when the tank is maturing. you would be best with freshwater plant lamps. one would do, but two would be better.

Most reactions

Back