Cats Whiskers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carina

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Both of my catfish have been very poorly :( for some reason they got a bacteria infection and are currently been treated for it. one catfish is making a great recovery but another must have got the worst of it. he has loads of sores on his body and he has lost his whiskers.

my questions are: will the whiskers grow back? and can he eat if he cant feel the food with whiskers?

thanks x

lost whiskers will not return unforunately, though some fish possess remarkable regenerative properties, barbels and whiskers are not grown back. However, the nerves there, if still active, will still work, so it will merely be less eficient without the prominence of the whisker. But, one important point, much of an animals behaviour is derived from the observation of its own species. Therefore, when your catfish sees his friend turn to look, and then go to find food, he will recognise this behaviour and copy it. Hope that helps :>

I disagree, lost barbels willl return. Although it may also depend on the severity of the initial problem and possibly which catfish is being spoken about. I've seen pictus lose their barbels completely, only to have them return in full in about 6 weeks.

you mean long sensory barbels? yes they can regrow (not to original length) provided enough of the barbel is left to heal.

No I mean what I said, barbels drop off and re-grow...and yes to the original length.

we are talking about a tiger shovel nose...he is very poorly and im not sure he will survive.

i have fed the other catfish and hes happy eating again now, although the shovel nose just wont eat a thing. maybe when hes feeling better he might copy the other catfish.

if anyone else knows any more about this situation please help :)

no barbels never drop of and regrow, don't be daft. Fish dont shed spines or fins or barbels. sorry but your wrong there. Barbels dropping off would be a terrible biological investment for the catfish, as making all those nerve endings and receptors is expensive resource wise. Sorry, but whoever told you that doesnt know about catfish (in a scientific way).

how about some tank background :good:
how bigs the tank?
what fish are in it?
what are your water test results?
what filtration are you running?
what is your maitenance routine?

no barbels never drop of and regrow, don't be daft. Fish dont shed spines or fins or barbels. sorry but your wrong there. Barbels dropping off would be a terrible biological investment for the catfish, as making all those nerve endings and receptors is expensive resource wise. Sorry, but whoever told you that doesnt know about catfish (in a scientific way).

Did I say anyone told me that?...please read my post, I said I experienced it with pictus catfish but obviously it's easier for you to sit in your own ignorance and deny the possibility that you might be wrong than it would be to even consider that I might be right.

and for the record, no-one mentioned spines (of course they don't regrow) so don't add extra words in to boost your already failing argument and secondly you write as if it was implied that they 'shed' their barbels for kicks...no-one said that either, it was in reference to a catfish being ill, like Carinas, where the barbels will become listless and drop away.

Here, try reading the following topics...

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtop...8ae34813210c950

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWSubWebIndex/pimelodids.htm

Apparently your not aware of catfish in a scientific way either.

Hmmmm yes because thats a scientific source....

Jeez, try consulting a text book, or a research paper. Sorry to sound so sarcastic, but you really must try and only reference peer reviewed information.

OK, like I said, if the sensory or maxilary barbels are 'shed' as you say, thats not by choice, thats a negative effect of water conditions, there will be a break point some where along the ehisker. However, like I said, if the whole whisker is lost it cannot be regrown, and regardless of circumstance will nevefr regrow to full length. Fact. look it up.

Hmmmm yes because thats a scientific source....

Jeez, try consulting a text book, or a research paper. Sorry to sound so sarcastic, but you really must try and only reference peer reviewed information.

OK, like I said, if the sensory or maxilary barbels are 'shed' as you say, thats not by choice, thats a negative effect of water conditions, there will be a break point some where along the ehisker. However, like I said, if the whole whisker is lost it cannot be regrown, and regardless of circumstance will nevefr regrow to full length. Fact. look it up.

coming up with different scenerios is pointless. The disucssion was in reference to carinas fish which is suffering due to negative water considtions as you put it so therefore even as you admit now the chances are they will re-grow which was the initial point. I thank you.

and I'm not going to sit here, especially with such a condescending fool, and define what is and what is not fully grown...Considering I never bothered to measure the barbels before they've dropped off it would be difficult to therefore argue whether they fully grew back or not but I would say in my expereince it was definitly within 90%,...but obviously peoples experiences mean nothing to you unless they come in a scientific journal. Which makes me wonder exactly what it is you are doing here?!...

Ah touched a nerve? No worries some people aren't worth my time. I'm here because I have an interest in aquariums, but also a vested interest in science. Heres a quick quote 'only fools shout "fool"'.

Tata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back