Catfish Id Confusion

vmsyvert

Reaction score
i saw many like this in the store and they told me it was an otto, but i can't find any pics of an otto like that...(it was walmart so i'm not too sure about thier ids after they sold me four black skirt tetras as tiger barbs)

there are more pics, and i'm sorry for the blurryness... The fish is kinds yellowy with brownish tint, and a darker solid stripe

Attachments

• 100_0627_c.JPG
    100_0627_c.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_0626_c.JPG
    100_0626_c.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 56
Despite the blurry pics, that's almost without a doubt a Chinese Algae Eater - not even a catfish.

Though clear pics would confirm.

would it be okay with corydoras catfish?? i have it with blackskirt tetras, and the reason i wanted to know what it was was to check if i should move it, because it is really annoying the blackskirts...

It looks like you have blue stone gravel? If so, then no, corys really do much better on sand (their barbels are very delicate and they love to forage through the sand), so for that reason alone not a great idea.

If you had sand and if the CAE is small and if the tank is large enough, it may work with corys for a while (or until the CAE reaches around 3") - but it's not worth chancing as CAE are notorious for being unpredictably aggressive and territorial.

so should i just return the otto?? I have corydoras in a different tank, and the otto in with the black skirts. I shouldn't put the corys with the blackskirts even though they will get along because they will be overstocked... also because of the gravel, but i have that gravel in the other tank, and i plan to change that soon... i've just heard that it cloggs filters, and i have an internal one...

so should i just return the otto??
It's really not an otto - not even close. It's a CAE (Chinese Algae Eater). And yes, if you can I'd return it asap.

I've had internal filters and sand so can't see how this is true - unless of course you have the filter sitting on top of the sand bed!

from what I read, corys are about the worst tankmates for CAE's. They're both bottom dwellers and the CAE will guard their terratory viciously. As if that's not bad enough, once the CAE gets older, he won't eat algae - he'll start snacking on other fish. I'm not sure how true it is, but I've heard they particularly go after the eyeballs of corys.... it's really not something I'd want to test out!

okay... thanks!!! i wil try to return him... sorry for the confusion bloo... i named him otto when i thought he was one... :)

Most reactions

Back