Carpeting A Small Tank

Ryan028

Reaction score
I recently got a small tank giving to me and i am looking to lay the whole base of the tank in a carpet it measures 25cm x 41cm.

Problem is i don't no what would be the best plant to carpet it in. I have been looking at a number of plants hemianthus callitrichoides, java moss and Riccia fluitans.

Has anybody got suggestions on a carpet plant i could use? at the minute there is just a small layer of sand in the tank

The tank is 30l with a filter that can be adjusted between 50-180 lph. The lighting is aqua glow 15w T8 blub

with that light I would think you could try any of those plants, in fact java moss would be a little dull and you could do a more unusual moss like fissidens.

How do you feel about dosing carbon and ferts? Hc would really require both, plus really good flow.

All would need trimming regularly. Riccia needs to be tied to something as it doesn't form roots. This also means you occasionally need to take it all off and start again.

Which of them most jumps out at you?

At the minute i am dosing my 60 litre planted tank with flourish excel and i am using ferts as well. This will be my first try at a carpet.

HC seems to jumping out at me more

You may need more than that for a carpet plant, you'll need ferts containing N&P really ESP if dosing carbon, look for TPN+ for a good all in one or the Aqua Essentials Nourish and Nourish+ used together are the same as TPN+ but will save you money.

have you a link for any of those mate having bother finding a place that sells them

I personally wouldn't waste my money on pots of Hc, get a pot first and try it out. As above HC requires lots of flow, it also IME likes some C02 and lots of ferts. You would win with java moss IMO.

I think so long as you have the above HC will be fine, funny how so many think it needs high light, when it needs flow, nutrients and carbon and most light levels will be fine. Tell ya what mate, if ya not in a rush I'll send ya a bit to try first.

I think so long as you have the above HC will be fine, funny how so many think it needs high light, when it needs flow, nutrients and carbon and most light levels will be fine. Tell ya what mate, if ya not in a rush I'll send ya a bit to try first.

yeah mate that sounds good pm me with more details

Most reactions

Back