• Total voters

chr15_8

Fish Herder
Reaction score
really carnt decide what background to go for

i mainly have a large shoal of neon tetra so im thinking black

but what do you think?

chris

Black for me at the moment, but you can buy background sheets which are black on one side and deep blue on the other. They are cheap enough, so if you want to try both black and light blue then you can easily swap for a different one at a later date.

yea just wanted to see what other people like and tbh its a paint trying to change the background round once tank full

chris

Lol, fair enough! I have a black plastic background now - when I re-scape the tank I will paint the back black (outside of the tank obviously!) as it gives a much much better finish and even colouration.

With neon or cardinals, I personally find black backgrounds make them punch out the most, and they seem to give the plants nice contrast as well.

Personally for tank backers, I use 2 mill 3m vinyl and apply it on with a squeegee. I like the gold 3m pa-1 squeegee's they apply with nice even pressure and you end up with a flawless smooth matte black rear wall. I find the tape on backers etc, always look hot spotted ie glare at funny angles. And paint is a pain in the but if you ever want to remove it. With vinyl if you want it off, you grab a corner and peel away, and 3m vinyls rarely ever leave glue traces.

I used a 2 foot length of 48" inch black vinyl on this tank, and it works great. No odd reflections etc, it just makes the background completely matte, no reflections or light spotting what so ever.
aug26fish.jpg

If you have never laid vinyl before and ever wanted to try, give me a shout and I will walk you through hinging and proper squeegee stokes. As that is the only downfall to vinyl it has to be laid very smooth or you get reflective hotspots where the bubble is. Granted you can pin pop em and run the air out, but you see the ghost ring of the old bubble for a few weeks until the glue evens out and bonds to the glass.

Oh and you can drop it on with the tank in full swing as long as its not right on the wall hehe. I would be hesitant of painting with a tank that was running ( but that is only common sense and I don't think anyone here would blast paint by there fishes hehe)

Just thought I would add that plus to the vinyl route. Oh and Avery makes a good film too, but the 3m is a touch better. Just avoid any cheap white back adhesive vinyl. Intermediate and high performance will both have glue sides the same colour as the film.

If you must have a background, black shows up the colours of the fish and plants best IMO.

Sam

The back of my tank is painted blue, which is stunning in marine tanks (it used to be a marine tank), but i agree black is better for freshwater, especially planted.

Also, painting is a much better effect, but slightly more permanent, as i have found out. LOL.

:good:

I have painted in the past and on my last 3 tanks I used vinyl as earlier posted and it looks just as crisp as paint and is not permanent at all :)

i hate blue for backgrounds, marine or freshwater. I was meant to put a black one on my freshwater but forgot to :p but i have a black one in my saltwater and it really enhances the fishes colors and the corals colors.

If you have never laid vinyl before and ever wanted to try, give me a shout and I will walk you through hinging and proper squeegee stokes. As that is the only downfall to vinyl it has to be laid very smooth or you get reflective hotspots where the bubble is. Granted you can pin pop em and run the air out, but you see the ghost ring of the old bubble for a few weeks until the glue evens out and bonds to the glass.

could you please?

also wher ethe best place to get it?

thanks
chris

Most reactions

Back