Cardinal and neons with white stuff

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DizLiz

Reaction score
Hi, my neons and cardinals aren't looking too well. One has a large white almost blister looking spot on his side along with a white ball on his mouth, another has specks of white and another also has a white ball on his mouth. I only have 4 left now and none are looking particularly healthy. I have used primafix for a week twice and interpret anti fungus and fin rot along with lots of cleaning and 25% water changes but this hasnt worked. The other tank mates are all healthy and no white at all. (1 pearl gourami, 2 loaches, 2 catfish, 2 guppies and 3 amano shrimp) I did loose a pearl gourami a couple of weeks ago with a nasty looking skin problem. The neons/cardinals are eating and behaving like normal. I'm totally lost as to what to try next. I'm low on stock at the mo and don't want to top up until this has been cured. It is a mature tank that's been up and running for around 4/5 years. This is the first problem I've had any help would be grately appreciated!
First 2 pics are of the worst one.

Attachments

• 20201002_221643.jpg
    20201002_221643.jpg
    241.9 KB · Views: 84
  • 20201002_221845.jpg
    20201002_221845.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 20201002_222028.jpg
    20201002_222028.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 85
Yes, it's a mature tank. I did a fish less cycle around 4/5 years ago.

How long have you had the cardinal tetras for?
Have you added anything new to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started.

The patches on the side looks like a bacterial infection, the lump on the mouth could be bacterial or viral.

You can try salt (2 heaped tablespoons per 20 litres) and or anti-biotics, but there is no guarantee.

Thank you for your help.
I'm not entirely sure how old they are, at a guess a couple of years.
Is it ok to use salt and or antibiotics with the shrimp and bristle nose catfish?
Thanks again.

Thank you for your help.
I'm not entirely sure how old they are, at a guess a couple of years.
Is it ok to use salt and or antibiotics with the shrimp and bristle nose catfish?
Thanks again.
The shrimp and catfish are fine with salt.

The catfish will be fine with anti-biotics, not sure about the shrimp, they might be ok but might not.

Most reactions

Back