Carbon

weezawoo

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Why do I need carbon? and what kind of carbon can I just use a carbon sponge like in a freshwater tank? Do I need it right now or can it wait until I have fish?

Cos if ur a numpty like me, u need to remove toxins from the water!!

It removed bad stuff from the water and makes it crystal clear!!!

Carbon pulls stuff from the water the filters won't, stuff like the gunk softies let off and any toxins that critters may release.

This is a really good question and one where there is not a simple yes or no answer.

It used to be said that if you had both soft and hard corals you should use carbon to remove the chemicals released by corals. People also used to say that you should use a lot of carbon and run it 24/7.

Seems that the concensus now is that you dont run carbon 24/7 as it depletes nutrients as well as the toxins etc.

I dont run carbon, but only have softies in my tank and my fish loading is light. I run my skimmer 19/7 and dose using the redsea programme.

Be aware: adding a large amount of carbon straight off can have a serious effect on the tank.

I have considered using carbon on my tank for say 24 hrs once a week - would be interesting to know how other people are currently using it or not?

Interesting! I don't have any at the moment in there and only have a few small frags no fish but worried about it! Getting my reactor today but won't have anything to put in it for a week or so. Gotta decide on that too!
Is carbon worse or better for a newer tank?

I run a small amount of carbon 24/7 and repenish it monthly along with my rowaphos.

Never had any probs and my water is always crystal.

Like seffie said there are different views on running carbon as too much can pull out good as well as bad which is why I only run a small amount.

I know its not relevent but I also run a small piece of foam wedged into my wier next to my pump, just to see if my skimmer and filter media misses anything and I haven't had to clean the foam out yet. Yes I know it's a potential nitrate farm! :lol:

I use carbon and the bag hangs on the outlet from the skimmer which runs 19 hours a day. So it's not really acting all the time at its best. I don;t have crystal clear water which I think is mainly due to my chalk goby and the MP40 which has such strong undertow it drags every bit of dirt out of the sand.

I use carbon and the bag hangs on the outlet from the skimmer which runs 19 hours a day. So it's not really acting all the time at its best. I don;t have crystal clear water which I think is mainly due to my chalk goby and the MP40 which has such strong undertow it drags every bit of dirt out of the sand.

Anychance of a pic mate of how you have your carbon? i have the same skimmer so thinking of doing the same :)

I use half the recommended amount if carbon ( I use new era) plonked in a bag within my filter sock. I noticed an immediate improvement in water clarity after adding it and only have a small number of softies :)

I recall reading it also removes some dissolved organics?

Anychance of a pic mate of how you have your carbon? i have the same skimmer so thinking of doing the same :)

I have mine sitting in my sump Chris so the bag is just jammed between the bottom of the perspex triangle from the outlet and the wall of the sump, which probably doesn't help you much. You could cable tie round the top of the bag and then loop round the screw on the outlet bracket?

So the carbon you use is it like small stick like pieces? I have a spare bag of carbon that came with my APS external filter. Is it completely different for marine tanks the carbon or the same stuff? Just a little confused on what stuff it actually is :/ haha

My carbon is small stick like pieces(technical :hyper: ) . Like a few of the others i run a small amount constantly and switch it out when i do my phosphate remover. But my tank hasn't been running long.

Carbon removes both good and bad chemicals from the water, as well as odors and discoloration. Many planted tank keepers and reef aquarists have found that their tanks do better without the carbon. The idea is that the carbon is removing vital trace elements and micronutrients. If the tank is doing so well that these are your limiting factor (there is always a limiting factor, but not necessarily these) then your tank will probably do better without carbon.

The bad things that carbon removes should not be an issue in most tanks if you are doing enough water changes. With adequate water changes the water changes themselves should be removing all the bad things that carbon would be if it was in use. Carbon treats the symptoms, but water changes treat the actual problem.

Carbon, like many subtle or possibly not effective things, should be tried and then stopped. If you see an improvement while using it keep using it. If you stop using it and see a problem keep using it. If you use it and then stop and see no difference don't waste your money. (This also applies to things like trace supplements and other things that may make a difference, but in many tanks may just be one more thing the LFs got your money for.)

Most reactions

Back