Carbon In Filter

deanrar

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi i'm not all that new to the hobby (a couple of years now) but i have what i think is a silly question, i have 2 tanks the aqua one ar-620 and the ar-620t and they have filters with the tanks but i wondered which part the carbon is or even if i have carbon. The three parts of the media in the filter are a black mesh type stuff on top, white rings (made of i don't know what, possibly carbon?) and a white mesh, i thought the rings might be carbon but all the carbon i have seen in filters is black so i'm a tad confused, any help would be much appreciated.

hi i'm not all that new to the hobby (a couple of years now) but i have what i think is a silly question, i have 2 tanks the aqua one ar-620 and the ar-620t and they have filters with the tanks but i wondered which part the carbon is or even if i have carbon. The three parts of the media in the filter are a black mesh type stuff on top, white rings (made of i don't know what, possibly carbon?) and a white mesh, i thought the rings might be carbon but all the carbon i have seen in filters is black so i'm a tad confused, any help would be much appreciated.

I think you'll find the white rings are the Ceramic Rings where the bacteria can thrive, I believe it also helps reduce ammonia and Nitrite. Not 100% sure but I think you'll find the black stuff is the Carbon, usually sold in a tub with mesh bags for you to pour into then load in to the filter.

Hope that helps.

Martin :good:

I have 2 AquaOnes. 850 & 380. You get a thin black sponge (not carbon) The tubes are a sort of ceramic and refered to as 'noodles' These are best as have greater surface area. (Add to the megre amount they give you if you can) You should have plastic trays with a white woolen pad stuck on the top and loads of little slots in the bottom. If shaken (when dry) they rattle......this is your carbon. Best advice, remove these trays, add more noodles or foam, lay a layer of fine white wool on the top. Keep the trays though as they are good for removing trace medication once it has run its course. AquaOne are good at putting in things like these and telling you to replace them every few weeks (at £5 a pop x2) :crazy:

Most reactions

Back